Stormtrooper

By Braddoc, in Game Mechanics

I think they may be missing something in the Stormtrooper's Starting Aptitudes. I looked at the cost of his characteristic and skills buys, and what Talents he can get.

He seems to lean really toward assault/melee than assault/shooting, can not get more weapon training apart from las and low-tech (they get Arms master, but that's it), they are oriented toward the one shot, massive damage more than the multi-attack, moderate damage the Guardsmen go for, but they seems to be costy to get characteristic advancements, except for WS being the only one I saw costing 100/250/500/750. Was it a way to maybe balance they fact they start with the Stormtrooper Carapace and hot-shot lasgun?

For me, they seems to be a specialty that's going to be slow to expand and get better.

I also think it shoudl be +5BS not +5 Toughness.

I think each specialty needs a list of 100XP easy advances.

Maybe +5 BS OR +5 T?

Also, maybe replace WS with Tech. Because, they should know a thing-or-two about handling explosives.

I agree with some of the sentiment expressed in this thread. I gave the Stormtrooper in my campaign a house rule choice at CharGen: "Offense OR Finesse."

He definitely needs +5 BS instead of +5 T.

The entire point of a Stormtrooper is that he's incredibly well-trained at the Schola. They're armed with better armour and a better gun than everyone else; you'd think they'd know how to use it?

+5 BS could work, but I could live with +5 Toughness as well since Storm Trooper training (be it from the Schola, or Cadian Kasrkin training, or what have you) is supposed to be utterly hellish.

What I'm more annoyed about is the gear shift to Light Carapace--I'd much rather it be Common Craftsmanship Storm Trooper Carapace (as it's their signature wargear as much as the hellgun) or a choice between Good Light and Common ST Carapace.

Yeah, I've always bought that Stormtroopers have +5 T due to the difficulty of the training, similar to SEAL or green beret training, except for them its been since childhood.

+5 BS, while nice, is not as needed, as that player would obviously want to make BS one of their highest skills (this is of course, assuming either a point buy, or a non-masochist GM). Also, its only 5%, whereas +5 toughness also makes improving TB that much easier (BSB being slightly less useful).