More Origins?

By Frankie, in Game Mechanics

Voidborn could really be added. It wouldn't be that hard to fluff.

Other ones I could see being added are Paradise World, Forge World, Agri-World, Feral World, Feudal World (so we can have say, napoleonic-esque soldiers), Agri-Worlds, War Zone planets and Civilized worlds.

Guard Regiments tend to be tithed from worlds. I don't know if Voidborn would work with that. And Forge Worlds do not have Guard-related Tithes, so there are no Imperial Guard Regiments of Forge World origin. Forge Worlds have their own forces in the form of the Skitarii/Tech-Guard Legions, and these are unrelated to the Imperial Guard.

BYE

I think that Voidborn will end up mostly in Imperial Navy because of their shipstraining.

Forge World, Agri-World, Feudal World and Agri-Worlds simple falls in Imperial World. For Paradise World it may fall in Highborn. For War Zone it may fall in Fortress World. Feral world may fall in Deathworld.

I don't think we real need more origins but rather more options for each origins.

You could easily handwave Voidborns as either recently settling or being born/raised on the planets' satellite/orbital station.

Forge World as an option would be cool regardless even if not 100% fluffy, since it'd let you do straight up Skitarii.

I'd be fine with more options to better represent more worlds, though

I suppose they went 'general' becasue if you stop and look at each and every world, the list would be its own book; I have no doutb they will expand on the origins in later books, but for the moment, I believe the options are wide and different enough to make lots of different regiments.

Worse case, a simple change of an option would work; take the Hive world, change accustomed to crowds to way of the gun (from Inquisitor's handbook) and you got a hive world regiment with a Gunmetal City flavour. No official, but still able to work.

Braddoc said:

I suppose they went 'general' becasue if you stop and look at each and every world, the list would be its own book; I have no doutb they will expand on the origins in later books, but for the moment, I believe the options are wide and different enough to make lots of different regiments.

Worse case, a simple change of an option would work; take the Hive world, change accustomed to crowds to way of the gun (from Inquisitor's handbook) and you got a hive world regiment with a Gunmetal City flavour. No official, but still able to work.

Well, there's a couple of months away so adding more options isn't too hard anyway.

And yeah, taking things from other books works. Its not like some homeworld traits arent straight up from DH anyway.

For representing a Forgeworld, one PC is doing Fortress World with Credo Omnissiah instead of Hated Enemy.

For representing a Voidborn, one PC is doing Hive World. He's replacing Accustomed to Crowds and Hivebound with Ill-Omened and Void Accustomed.

Frankie said:

Braddoc said:

Well, there's a couple of months away so adding more options isn't too hard anyway.

And yeah, taking things from other books works. Its not like some homeworld traits arent straight up from DH anyway.

For representing a Forgeworld, one PC is doing Fortress World with Credo Omnissiah instead of Hated Enemy.

For representing a Voidborn, one PC is doing Hive World. He's replacing Accustomed to Crowds and Hivebound with Ill-Omened and Void Accustomed.

Sorry, can't tell if this went through since there's a big 'Publish' button on the post and it wont work.

Braddoc said:

This is very much the case - the Imperium is vast, and you can't expect to see everything covered. The choice of homeworlds/origins in Only War is meant to be a fairly broad representative sample (and one that didn't fall afoul of GW's approvals process).

Modifying them to suit is entirely possible, and doesn't take much for those so inclined - both the Tallarn and Krieg regiments have a different trait to the Death World and Penitent origins that they're based on.