Moritat Tearing Quality, What weapons?

By Fideru, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Hello all. I've got a question about the Moritat Assassin background package.

I've got one character in my group that took the package, and 'The Bloody Edge' trait is quite ambiguous.

I was wondering, what does it affect? The Player argues that arrows/bolts are fine for getting tearing, since the Moritat can use them without having to do the Willpower roll. Any opinions on that? I see it that it's the arrow, and not the Moritat doing the cutting, since the Moritat knows how to do to get maximum damage, but, he can only aim with an arrow and it goes in.

As well, what's any weapon with an edge? Would a Power Sword count? What about the Officer's Cutlass? Chain-weapons? Etc.

I'm very much confused on it, and would like some other opinions.

Thank you in advance.

I'd apply the KISS method. Any Rending weapon will do the trick. This does put a few oddballs on the list (needlers, scrap guns, ), but also takes a few off (power weapons).

Any bladed weapon (including powersword), chainswords aren't their style and a double tearing doesn't do anything. Arrows, Crossbowbolt and throwing knives are included.

The more interesting question is: What targets are effected...warp zombies, daemons, servitors?

Fideru said:

I've got one character in my group that took the package, and 'The Bloody Edge' trait is quite ambiguous.

I was wondering, what does it affect? The Player argues that arrows/bolts are fine for getting tearing, since the Moritat can use them without having to do the Willpower roll. Any opinions on that? I see it that it's the arrow, and not the Moritat doing the cutting, since the Moritat knows how to do to get maximum damage, but, he can only aim with an arrow and it goes in.

As well, what's any weapon with an edge? Would a Power Sword count? What about the Officer's Cutlass? Chain-weapons? Etc.

Thank you in advance.

Basically, I rule it (or I would, if I had a moritat character in my game) that any weapon the Moritat can use without testing against WP gains Tearing - splitting weapons into two categories: those he won't use, and those he's really good at.

It also makes mono-edging handbow bolts (personal houserule - costs 2 thrones a bolt/arrow) and then coating them with poison a cheap alternative to a needle pistol.

Though I wouldn't include blunt weapons such as clubs

Reading on the power fist, it talks about ripping through armour. Would it be considered to have the fingers be sharp claws?

The powerfist should not be treated as one of the moritats chosen weapons imo. It's the energy field that does 90% of the damage.

Thank you all for your opinions.

Letrii said:

Reading on the power fist, it talks about ripping through armour. Would it be considered to have the fingers be sharp claws?

Power fists don't do Rending damage. Note that "Rending damage" in a Dark Heresy context means something different than it does in the wargame context. Swords, knives, scrap guns, arrows, etc., all do Rending damage - it's the damage type for edged and piercing weapons. Thus, the Rending damage type is what I always associated the Moritat trait with.

Any primitive weapon with a blade (halberds, spears, blades, anything with a sharp side or a point), power swords/axes. Any primitive ranged weaponry. These I would allow to use the Bloody Edge rule.

Needle-weapons are a no-go IMHO.

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Fideru said:

Thank you in advance.

Basically, I rule it (or I would, if I had a moritat character in my game) that any weapon the Moritat can use without testing against WP gains Tearing - splitting weapons into two categories: those he won't use, and those he's really good at.

It also makes mono-edging handbow bolts (personal houserule - costs 2 thrones a bolt/arrow) and then coating them with poison a cheap alternative to a needle pistol.

Same here.

I consider all melee weapons (that are not clubs and hammers and similar) fair use, including Chain (yes, those teeth are definitely bladed) and Power variants. The Moritat have an extreme drawback in not being able to use most ranged weaponry while usually not being sturdy enough to withstand a close-up fight, so they should get an according bonus.

Ranged weapons like arrows and knifes are fine too.

Also, I grant multiple Tearing dice.

@Op

I see it that it's the arrow, and not the Moritat doing the cutting, since the Moritat knows how to do to get maximum damage, but, he can only aim with an arrow and it goes in.

So where's the difference to a sword? A sword is also merely aimed and it goes in. The Moritat mainly know how to aim for weak points (reflected in Tearing granting them higher damage), which works for ranged and close combat weapons.