Chaos Marine wants to pick up a fallen Grey Knight's weapon

By Elurindel, in Black Crusade House Rules

Just to compare. Let's say bob the mook has a WP of 35, and you have a PR3 WP 45 force weapon-wielding bamf. He rolls a 100, you roll and 01. You win by 44 (54, after including the effective psy rating of 2 for the fettered focus), for 5 DoS (6 DoS), he fails by 65 for 7 DoF, for a difference of 12 (13) degrees. That's a bonus 6d10 damage, cos you got 6 DoS, innit? Am I doing it wrong? Anyway, bob the mook asplode.

You win by 44 (54, after including the effective psy rating of 2 for the fettered focus test of +10), for 5 DoS ( 6 DoS after the bonus), he fails by 65 for 7 DoF, for a difference of 12 (13 after bonus) degrees. That's a bonus 6d10 damage, cos you got 6 DoS , innit?

Bold for emphasis. The DoFs didn't modify the result. Originally I thought they might, looked it up to verify, and recognized that they did not. Had a brain fart for a bit, there.

Good to know about Nemesis weapons being power fielded. Those stats from Daemon Hunter? Bear in mind that cross-game stats rarely translate cleanly. Look at the pre-errata Astartes Heavy Bolter and compare it to the Legion Heavy Bolter for a great example.

Also, I think a good party of renegades with a bunch of xp under their belts and a solid collection of acquisitions ought to be able to have the chance to take on a Bloodthirster- or even Kairos Fateweaver. After a game has gone on long enough, I want my players to have daemon weapons, terminator armour and high quality force fields- because I'm going to challenge them.

Black Crusade is a fairly high-level game by design, and I try to treat it as such. I approach it with the mentality that I learned from Exalted, rather than the Shadowrun mentality appropriate to Dark Heresy.

Good to know about Nemesis weapons being power fielded. Those stats from Daemon Hunter? Bear in mind that cross-game stats rarely translate cleanly. Look at the pre-errata Astartes Heavy Bolter and compare it to the Legion Heavy Bolter for a great example.

Yes, but Daemon Hunter uses the same weapon stats as in Black Crusade (and the Deathwatch errata). 1d10+9 Pen 4 Astartes bolters etc.

BC is a high-power game, but I balk at slaying a greater daemon without serious NPC support. (Though I realize that RAW a psyker with Force Barrage won't have too much of a problem.)

Yes, yes, Force Barrage OP. It's houseruled already.

I didn't say it should be easy- just that a group of four or more renegades ought to have a chance, especially if one or more are Astartes, Hereteks or Psykers (with or without Force Barrage).

Side note: even at the 1d10+33 value that seems so often quoted, with however many hits, a Bloodthirster has a TB of 12 (after losing bonus from Daemonic), armour 13 and 195 wounds. Each hit is reduced by 25, for 1d10+8. The Bloodthirster soaks- and that's assuming you don't provide a Brass Collar of Khorne (and why wouldn't a Bloodthirster have one?). Really, all a psyker has to offer in that fight is group buffs and indirect damage (telekinetically throwing buildings or something else).

Anyways, we've gotten rather off topic. Original question? Sure, take that nemesis weapon, corrupt it via ritual and turn it into a Daemon Weapon.

hey im new and to help me understand bogi comment about the RAW psyker, what does RAW mean, like raw power or something else

RAW = Rules As Written

RAI = Rules As Intented

Edited by Routa-maa

ok thank you that will help a lot

I say let 'em go for it

A ritual of some sort ought to handle the force attunement issue (moot if not a psyker)

Genelock on the power weapon could be gotten around, mebbe via dark mechanicus help?

(Argel Tal did it in the Horus Heresy books with 2 Custodes weapons)

... hunt down the nearest warpsmith/idolitrex for one stop shopping =)

In any event it'll make a very shiny trophy

Come to think of it if you managed to kill a grey knight I imagine a khorne character would be vary interested in the agies armor and it's anti-physic capabilities.

Just that he cant use the anti-psyker abilities because he is no psyker himself.

Doesn't the aegis work because it's blessed and whatnot?

Personally I would have the armour scald the chaos guy's skin just by touching it, but that's me.

Edited by bogi_khaosa

Blessings alone would be simply hexagramic wards in terms of FFG rulebooks and actually bear imperial heraldry, symbols and chants. Somehow I doubt I Khrone-Berserker would carry such insignia of the corpse god without mutilating it and hence destroying its outer protection against psychic powers. But besides that the real power of an Aegis armor is the psycic warrior inside.

Just as a Force Weapon is made of alloy that concentrates the psychic power of its wielder, an Aegis armor has alloys and is made of materials and wards that are fueled by the Grey Knights psychic potential and hence only work with a psyker that also has the proper training to actually use such an armor. In the end it all depends on how your GM interpretates the armor but never the less for a non psyker they are of no special use.

In terms of equipment, training, skill and potential grey knights are the unicorns of WH40k.

In terms of equipment, training, skill and potential grey knights are the unicorns of WH40k.

Fielding one is a sure sign of being a virgin?

Sadly... these days its mostly true...

But in the old days... we were the meanest sort of badass unicorns with one of the most self-punishing codexes (so we liked to believe xD)... and the fair Sororitas loved us... until we began to slaughter them... for... additional virginity protection.... dont get it to this day...^^

One thing I'd like to add is that if he does corrupt it he should get some bonus infamy for doing so. I'd think the dark gods would love seeing such a symbol of the corpse god corrupted.

So this chain has been going on a long time, did he end up being able to use the weapon or not!?!?

Had this happen as well. My players (A small pair. A noise marine player and a khorne beserker) had been dealing with a group of grey knights that had been hunting them since they escaped a detention center. My beserker player ended up challanging the Grey Knight Captain to one on one combat challanging his purity. (All of this started with the group trying to infiltrate a planet disguised as blood ravens using stolen armor). The Captain agreed. After a rather brutal duel that almost killed the player he won.

As a reward I decided to let the psy factor of the sword be banished but replace it with a portion of khorne's fury as a 'gift' for his honorable duel with a powerful foe. Essentially he got to keep the weapon and its abilities despite not having a psy rating or having altered its psy link.

he ended up trading the Nemesis Force Weapon off. He did, however, keep the Storm Bolter, and upon Apotheosis planted a Daemon without it, using its former holy nature to aid in the corrupting of the weapon, since Chaos loves to do that.