Relative newbie - some card questions....

By realitytrip, in CoC Rules Discussion

Hello all - newbie to the game - (played lots of Mythos back in the day tho) and I now have the core game and all the expansions and I find some of the cards a little confusing. Hoping for some clarification. Thanks in advance.

1) Asylum Pack question - the core rulebook shows a conspiracies of chaos and dunwich denizens asylum packs. Do those exist? Are they coming out in the future (I see the summons of the deep ones coming up, but not these?)

2)Syndicate cards -

Richard Finchington III - Forced Response: When a Monster or Creature character comes into play, it loses all (terror) icons until the end of the phase, and it immediately goes insane. So....this effects both players right? And, if a creature has willpower, it does not go insane, right?

Demented Caretaker - Forced Response: After Demented Caretaker comes into play, choose and exhaust a character with skill 4 or higher or sacrifice Demented Caretaker. So....the person who plays this card can exhaust a character played by either player?

Panic - Action Exhaust all characters with skill lower than X. Again...this effects both players, right?

3)Cthulhu cards -

Cthulhu - Forced Response: After a player draws cards during his draw phase, he must sacrifice a character, if able. Does this mean both players will be sacrificing while Cthulhu is in play?

Ravager from the deep: Forced Response: After Ravager from the deep is committed to a story, wound all other characters at that story. First off, this monster seems insanely powerful for its cost. I assume the all other characters means that that he wounds other characters from the same player, right? And second, does his ability only work on characters at the story when he commits? In other words characters who commit after he does aren't affected?

4) Yog-Sothoth

Guardian Elder Thing - While Guardian Elder Thing is committed to a story, it gains: Action: Pay 2 to wound all characters committed to this story. Does it injure itself?

5) Hastur

Victoria's Loft - During the refresh phase, insane characters cannot be restored. Again ...effects both players?

Victoria Glasser - Forced Response: After Victoria Glasser enters play, choose a character. That character goes insane. Again...the active player can choose a character from either player, right? (Same question for Hastur's action)

I think that's it. I apologize if some of these questions seem basic, I just find it confusing when some cards specify you can attack/effect OPPONENT cards but many don't. And some cards seem like they would do just as much harm to you as they would to the opponent.

Thanks again in advance

those asylum packs were the last of the black borders. you can probably still find them online if you wanna get them.

unless i misread some of questions, i think i can answer all of them in one word. yes. all those cards work the way you think. ravanger is a defense card. if he goes on offense he wounds only characters you bring with him. but on defense he'll wound everything except himself, so he usually goes alone unless you have guys with toughness.

if you need a better explaination just say so. but short answer to all the questions is yes.

I'll try to keep total newbie questions in this thread.

We were a bit confused last night, could have been fatigue, but when do attachments no longer apply? Only when they are removed, or are the negated when a character is exhausted?

Blutsteigen said:

I'll try to keep total newbie questions in this thread.

We were a bit confused last night, could have been fatigue, but when do attachments no longer apply? Only when they are removed, or are the negated when a character is exhausted?

Attachment remain active as long as they are attached.

Destroying the attachment stops their effect. If a character goes insane (not while they are insane though) the attachments are removed. And when the character dies, they are removed.

Exhausting doesn't have an effect though.

Marius said:

Destroying the attachment stops their effect. If a character goes insane (not while they are insane though) the attachments are removed. And when the character dies, they are removed.

This means, then, that a character who is insane could receive an attachment card. It is only when they go insane, however, that one would automatically be removed. Correct?

Blutsteigen said:

This means, then, that a character who is insane could receive an attachment card. It is only when they go insane, however, that one would automatically be removed. Correct?

Absolutely correct. That's why you can put on, say, a Sedated.

You can also put on a Fetch Stick, but, it won't do anything since insanity overrides the stat boosts.

Regarding attachments there's one situation I've been unsure about:

What happens to attachments when a character is returned to the owner's hand?

I assume they're returned to the owner's hand, as well. If so, and the character is put back into play, are they still attached to that character?

Likewise I found it a bit awkward if a character with wounds is returned to the owner's hand. How do people keep track of the wounds?

jhaelen said:

Regarding attachments there's one situation I've been unsure about:

What happens to attachments when a character is returned to the owner's hand?

I assume they're returned to the owner's hand, as well. If so, and the character is put back into play, are they still attached to that character?

Likewise I found it a bit awkward if a character with wounds is returned to the owner's hand. How do people keep track of the wounds?

If a character leaves play (is destroyed, becomes a resource, is returned to your hand, becomes a domain, is shuffled into your deck) then the attachment is put into the discard pile.

If a card leaves play, "card memory" is lost, so you don't have to keep track of wounds, insanity, exhausted/ready or anything else. If a character is put into play from anywhere, for the purposes of the game it's a new character.

Marius said:

If a character leaves play (is destroyed, becomes a resource, is returned to your hand, becomes a domain, is shuffled into your deck) then the attachment is put into the discard pile.

If a card leaves play, "card memory" is lost, so you don't have to keep track of wounds, insanity, exhausted/ready or anything else. If a character is put into play from anywhere, for the purposes of the game it's a new character.

Oops, we've been playing that wrong then... So, that's another way to get rid of nasty attachments.

It's also interesting that wounds are removed - this opens up new strategies by returning important characters to your own hand to 'heal' them. Nice!

As always, thanks for the clarification!

would someone show us some examples of the 4 stages of challening? Anything tricky that new players mess up? For example, does one always apply every phase, and do unusual exceptions exist? Could somene map out a few examples? It would be greatly appreciated before our next match on Friday. We are hardcore miniature war gamers and the dynamics of card play are quite different.

Thanks!

Maybe this helps!?