In the next expansion, please don't include religion.

By RoyalRook, in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

I love this board game, but i won't buy the next expansion if it includes the aspect of religion. And I know many others that won't feel comfortable about the game, if religion is involved.

I liked the implementation of religion in Civ 4. It was handled in a way that no religion was "better" in areas than others. But rather that your population in your cities would have differing religion and that had an impact on production when compared to the official state religion set by the player. I think it might also have had an impact on happiness in the civilization but then again that usually translates directly to production so same difference.

My point being that in civ 4 it was done in a tactful way, which enhanced the gaming experience for me. Religion has always had a major importance in the development and history of different cultures and that civ 4 had the courage to explore it the way it did was refreshing to me.

Have my doubts that it would translate as well for the boardgame (without giving the feel of "religion A is better than religion B) though. But I have been proven wrong before.

Religion plays such an important role in the development of both individuals - who may then influence society - and nations, reflecting this in the game is a good idea. The main issue would, i agree, be to include it in such a way that is balanced so that no religion is made 'better' than others ie all are equally valid and they confer a general bonus or advantage regardless of the name of the religion. India is a good example of a nation where more than anywhere else religion forms the core of their society and culture so religion does have its influence.

I believe Religion should be included in the game, but it should be included in a way that makes it balanced.

For example, Religions should have small bonuses AND negatives to balance them out when adopted, making the empire more focused in what wants to do at the expense of some other function. I.E. Christianity: When you devote a city to the arts you gain 1 additional culture (2 if metropolis), but you also lose 2 trade.

From there, religion could be leveled up at the expense of victory progression, resulting in more favorable bonuses, which must be taken from each track to reach the pinnacle of religion, example: religion enhancement one should involve the investment of coin, say 2 or 3. Religion enhancement two could involve the sacrifice of a flag and two units at random. Religion enhancement three could involve moving backwards on the culture track some spaces or more likely paying a certain amount of culture. And religion enhancement four could involve paying trade equal to a level 4 tech in the tech phase.

Religion is a huge part of Civilization and history, and as long as it remains balanced it's inclusion should be no more unbalancing than the Great person deck or investments, both optional to play with.

Personally, i think they should put a religion aspect in the next expansion. It just wouldn't be CIV without it, and for the easily offended, Im sure they could make it optional. Plus, its true it wouldn't be realistic, religion HAS played a major part in the development of independent nations in every part of the world. Even though CIV does have that totally random theme where the Americans end up with the great wall of china, and the China ends up with Charles Dickens, to include everything BUT religion just wouldn't be honest.

Some other things i think would be cool for the next expansion:

The Mesoamerican civs; Incans, Aztecs, Mayans.

Pacts: Like a friendship or defensive pact, where if you break it, "your people get mad" and that decision can have negative influences on your attack and economy.

Just ideas, but i really would like to see religion in the next expansion. :)

I don't mind religion from a historical standpoint, as long as you can obsolete it :)

I think the authors have done the right thing in the place they have given to Religion. Every Civilization is built on a set of religious beliefs, including Atheistic cultures. While I might not hold to some religious beliefs myself, I think to remove Religion would take some of the depth out of the game.

Civilization is the result of people grouping together with a shared belief (i.e, Religion). Just a thought.

NoItAll said:

Some other things i think would be cool for the next expansion:

The Mesoamerican civs; Incans, Aztecs, Mayans.

Pacts: Like a friendship or defensive pact, where if you break it, "your people get mad" and that decision can have negative influences on your attack and economy.

Just ideas, but i really would like to see religion in the next expansion. :)

I really like the idea of a Pact. Ancient Civilizations often enterred in to Covenantal Relationships with neighbouring countries. Breaking these Covenant Agreements often led to war.