Picked up a Rattler/Cobra…

By MRex22, in Dust Tactics General Discussion

…Pros? Cons?

I love the design, but I admit, I'm still figuring out the weapons. The Phaser looks pretty nasty. I'd love to hear what you folks think.

Haven't gotten my hands on them yet, but here are my impressions:

Cobra - Pretty much the most versatile walker while still remaining effective. Sure, it's a phaser, so it's always a bit of a gamble, but this one's considerably more reliable than the Honey. Against infantry, it's pretty effective. Not quite a Mickey, but remember that it ignores cover! Against walkers it's better than a Pounder, as long as the map will allow you to get in range. The range is long enough that it shouldn't be a big problem if you use it in the right maps. The only problem is that it's basically helpless against aircraft. You'll want some Grim Reapers, Wildfire or Rattler around this guy if you'll be facing choppers.

Rattler - It's the opportunity to harass infantry from afar that the allied had been waiting for. Spending your Steel Rain's rockets against troopers is often not an option, with a Unlimited-range enemy walkers threatening your forces. The Rattler does for the allies what the Luther and Heinrich do for the axis, pester the troops, raining considerable damage on them from where they can't fight back. If they do come to get you, you'll have more MGs to bring to bear on them. Superior Reactive Fire also means that this unit is great for guarding movement lanes. The disappointing thing is that the Rattler is not the aircraft-deterrent that the allies sorely needed. It's a pretty decent anti-aircraft platform, but it's really nothing that brings a real sense of safety to allied troops. The Wildfire makes for a better AA option, if that's what you really need.

what are the four turret options?…

Four turret options?

This walker pack comes with 2 turret options, the phaser and the AA 40mm.

yeah, if you look at the box at the bottom left hand corner it says four turret options…sure of it

It does say that, ut I believe it is refering to Amphibious and regular version of both walkers. Thats also why you get 4 cards with it.

It doesn't say four turret option, it says "four weapon types and four corresponding unit cards". The latter part is correct, since this kit contains the Cobra, Cobra-AMP, Rattler and Rattler-AMP, though saying "4 weapon types" is not quite accurate, probably they just kept the phrasing used in the previous walker box.

Those cheakie monkeys !!

so what changes on the model?

If you mean between the Amp and the non-amp, the Amp version you can attach the Side Pontoons and the intake for the engine. Downside is the side pontoons need to be glued (or if you are a good modeller Magnatize) to the side of the walker.

Really, they need to be glued? Man, they really should have made a dettachable system for that…

I was thinking about that too. I'd like to figure out how to use rare earth magnets to make the versions interchangable, but I don't know how strong they are.

I have done several Magnetizing with Warmahordes and they would hold the pontoons no problem.