Bombers question

By xfoley96, in Fortress America

This may be totally obvious, but after reading the rules, I am wondering if a bomber can attack 'normally' (from an adjacent territory), or if it must be performing the bombing ability in order to attack? I'm inclined to say yes, they can attack adjacently, too. I have yet to play (should get my first game in next week), but right now I'm having trouble seeing the benefit of the bombing ability, unless you gang up with a whole bunch of bombers and adjacent units. Unless you've got a lot of territories under your control, jumping over 3 territories seems too risky, especially if you're not attacking with other adjacent units- you're likely to either lose the bomber from the defender rolls first rule, or from the supply line rule. Not to mention the fact that 'bombing bombers' can't claim a territory if they're the only surviving attacking unit(s). It could be a way to chip away at your enemy and keep their numbers down, but I think I'd be inclined to use them en masse to ensure some damage was done and not lose them all to pot shots from infantry. Perhaps a good strategy is to hold off on using the bomber ability until you've made some headway and have more units on the board.

I can't imagine why you'd use the bombing ability in the 'example of a defender firing' graphic on page 18 of the rule book- wouldn't it make more sense to add the bomber to the friendly units and attack en masse from there? If there were 5 units already in the attacking territory, then, yes, it would make sense. Unless bombers have to bomb to attack…

Of course, I may get a better picture once I actually play the game. gui%C3%B1o.gif

The bomber can attack normally.

It has the ability to hop over several enemy occupied areas and make an attack. and you as the attacker get to choose the unit that dies. Then during invasion phase, it can move 4 again. Bombers can move 8 areas a turn.

The answer is:"YES!" They can attack adjacent. I haven’t read the 'new' rule book, but in the 'old' rules and their examples of play they could attack adjacent like any other unit. The flyover is their "special ability'.

I can't imagine why you'd use the bombing ability in the 'example of a defender firing' graphic on page 18 of the rule book- wouldn't it make more sense to add the bomber to the friendly units and attack en masse from there? If there were 5 units already in the attacking territory, then, yes, it would make sense. Unless bombers have to bomb to attack…

Well, the whole point of the Bombing ability is that it allows you to attack from only one adjacent area with 5 units PLUS the bombers. As the Defender in a battle shoots first, the Defender has a significant advantage; normally this means that attacking a city defended by 5 units from only one adjacent area has little chance of succes. However, you can add Bombers to this battle without exceeding the 5-unit stacking limit in the area you attack from. Taking out the bombers eary is a high priority for the US player as it makes sure the Invaders cannot do this anymore and have to spend more time actually setting up attacks into heavily defended cities from at least two different area's.

The bombers are allowed to attack normally as well, so if stacking limit is not an issue the bomber can actually move one area further during its Maneuver phase.

Thanks for your responses. After playing the game, it did, indeed, hit me that bombing with the bombers allows more than 5 units to attack a single territory. I still think the example in the rulebook is poor, but the advantage is clear to me now. gui%C3%B1o.gif

xfoley8 said:

Thanks for your responses. After playing the game, it did, indeed, hit me that bombing with the bombers allows more than 5 units to attack a single territory. I still think the example in the rulebook is poor, but the advantage is clear to me now. gui%C3%B1o.gif

I think your confusing combat with stacking. When you attack you move units to the edge of your territory and attack the territory you want. As many adjacent units as you want can attack a territory. During the Invasion phase, you can only move 5 units into a territory you now control (because of stacking limits). Bombers ignore the stacking limit on the territory your attacking. (If they have 5 unit you can plop a bomber down there and still attack a territory, you just cant stay at end without any ground units supporting attack.)

I think your confusing combat with stacking. When you attack you move units to the edge of your territory and attack the territory you want. As many adjacent units as you want can attack a territory.

True, but you still cannot stack more than 5 units in any area. That means if you want to attack with more than 5 units, you either have to attack from two or more adjacent area's or use bombers with their bombing ability.

Be careful with the attacking "normally" idea. If the attack is from an adacent area, and not over the top in bombing mode, then the adjacent area MUST already be a friendly territory. This makes it a bit tougher in the front lines, easier when dealing with those pesky partisans popping up behind you.

Ron

Can a Bomber fly over Lake Michigan?