Two-Weapon training w/ Melee and Ballistics.

By Ribbon, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

First time, long time; I've read through the rather interesting thread about pistols in melee, and was still curious about one thing. Example: if I had a character that had taken Two-Weapon Training in both Melee/Ballistic, and was carrying a pistol and sword, facing off against a cultist. Diagonally back from them by 1m is another cultist that is not currently in melee with me and is fully visible. Without the Independent Targeting talent, characters with two ranged weapons can fire at different targets within 10m.

a) If I were to, as my sole action, fire at the cultist not currently in melee with me, would I receive Point-blank bonus on them? The 2.0 errata states that a pistol wielded in melee does not get the +30 bonus for point-blank range, and then that Point-blank, which is closer than 3m, does not apply to enemies with whom you are engaged in melee. The former seems to indicate that no, once in melee a pistol-user cannot claim Point-blank, but the latter seems to specify enemies you are currently in melee with.

b) As I have training in both melee/ballistic, would it be possible to attack the cultist in melee with me with my sword, and use my off-hand ranged attack to instead fire on the cultist diagonal to them, as they are within 10m?

c) What would the overall penalties be were I to be carrying two pistols and attempting the same, i.e. firing at the cultist I am in melee with as well as the second cultist nearby? With Two-Weapon Wielder, making two such attacks is a Full Action, so I suppose this melts slightly into the existing pistols in melee thread.

I didn't notice this in an existing thread, so apologies if it is a duplicate question.

Ribbon said:

a) If I were to, as my sole action, fire at the cultist not currently in melee with me, would I receive Point-blank bonus on them? The 2.0 errata states that a pistol wielded in melee does not get the +30 bonus for point-blank range, and then that Point-blank, which is closer than 3m, does not apply to enemies with whom you are engaged in melee. The former seems to indicate that no, once in melee a pistol-user cannot claim Point-blank, but the latter seems to specify enemies you are currently in melee with.

b) As I have training in both melee/ballistic, would it be possible to attack the cultist in melee with me with my sword, and use my off-hand ranged attack to instead fire on the cultist diagonal to them, as they are within 10m?

c) What would the overall penalties be were I to be carrying two pistols and attempting the same, i.e. firing at the cultist I am in melee with as well as the second cultist nearby? With Two-Weapon Wielder, making two such attacks is a Full Action, so I suppose this melts slightly into the existing pistols in melee thread.

This takes the rules beyond what is defined in the books and into the realm of GM preference I think but here's how I would handle things:

a) I would give you the bonus. You're still firing at an opponent that fits the point blank criteria.

b) I don't see why not. What's stopping you from aiming in whatever direction you choose.

c) All applicable penalties for dual-weilding would apply to both shots, although the non-melee target would be an easier shot thanks to point blank coming into effect.

I'll have to disagree with Zero - you don't get the Point Blank bonus while you're in melee combat ever . I realize we're arguing about an unclear point on the rules, but I don't see anybody getting that kind of a bonus with somebody standing next to them trying to bash their head in with a club.

Pneumonica said:

I'll have to disagree with Zero - you don't get the Point Blank bonus while you're in melee combat ever . I realize we're arguing about an unclear point on the rules, but I don't see anybody getting that kind of a bonus with somebody standing next to them trying to bash their head in with a club.

Eh, it's a range bonus, if the range fits the bonus applies. Now if you want to apply a penalty for defending yourself at the same time or even better yet give the attacker a bonus to hit you for the opening then that's worth discussing.