Just grabbed the game, what else should I pick up?

By keltheos, in Battles of Westeros

Hey all, just bit the bullet and picked up Battles from a great Ebay sale. Wound up with the core game, the Lords of the River box, and the premium banners…what else should I be looking at as a next purchase for the game? Any suggestions, what enhances it without breaking it?

Lotsa reads, no replies? :(

I did see that the Lannister expansion has the Gambit card rules in it…that would be one to get, right? ;)

Wardens of the North and Wardens of the West are both great acquisitions. The other expansions are fine but are less important.

Just bought the game too and was wondering if the Premium banners are worth the price?

To be clear, the core set is a complete game and you can get away with not expanding at all for a long time, that being said then you are not going to have any regrets expanding with the Wardens.

Wardens flesh out both factions with more unique units and good scenarios. The only downside is that both of the warden packs are pretty independent of each other, so you get very few chances of using stuff from both in a scenario. The skirmish game opens up however with alot more options and troop variety.

Becouse the Wardens expand the core units, I would go for them first.

The Allied expansions (Lords of the River and Tribes of the Vale) also increase skirmish potential and have a ton more scenarios, the brotherhood without banners has a very good scenario (that uses all previous ones) but feels like the least critical out of the bunch.

It seems like that the newest expansion (Baratheon) will use everything that came before it for the Alliance battles, so owning everything will be a plus in the long run.

I like the premium banners, but I would not call them critical.

It is a good idea to wash them before applying the stickers on, they tend not to stick well.

I bought a second premium pack since I decided (later) that I wanted them painted before applying stickers to them.

They are nice, I dont regret owning them, but I would never feel compelled to buy them since the base game banners are quite functonal and sturdy.