UK Street Fighter Only Nationals 2008

By Son Gopaul, in UFS Tourney Reports

SF Nats was awesome, my only problem was the lack of cosplayers... I was the only one in my Dan Gi! ;_; Oh, and the fact we had to catch the train at 4:45am!

Anyways, I actually bought 3 T-shirts at the event, one for me and two for my brothers to grow into :P Had some awesome trades as always, and most of all a really fun time! As Steve said, we had a great turnout for what some think is a "dying game"!

Anyways, onto the tournament itself. I was planning to play as ***Alex***, but after tweaking with the deck got fed up and decided to play :.:Ryu:.: to make the most out of Seichu Nidan Tsuki and the Chain Throw Loops. This also gave an opportunity to my friend Alex, who was ironically also running ***Alex***. The Colchester group came up with a great 8 players, including newcomers to the tournament scene, Chris and Alex. They did awesome for their first event, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them turn up to future events!

Game 1: Vs :.:Akuma:.:
1 check Akuma, although awesome when it gets underway, couldn't keep up with the constant amount of huge attacks I was throwing at him. Game 2 I sided into Martial Arts Champion, which stops Akuma's re-check ability as he can't put the 1 check in his hand. 2-0 to me!

Game 2: Vs ***Zangief*** (Jack)
This was a crushing blow to my confidence, as I was facing a deck which worked far faster than mine, and my checks ended up screwing me over throughout. 0-2 to Gief.

Game 3: Vs *Makoto* (Justin)
Justin always turns up to events with some mastermind deck, and this time he was combining Makoto's draw ability with Tough Outer Shell's R, to keep him alive. I couldn't break his defenses, and ate a Seichuzen Godanzuki hard. Game 2 I managed to T2K an overextended Makoto with Chain Throw - Kunai - Seichu. However, when Justin sided into *Ibuki* to gain 10 off each Suzaku he discarded with TOS, he again killed me with a double Suzaku run. 1-2 to Makoto.

Game 4: Vs ***Alex***
This wasn't Alex's ***Alex*** (ok, that's confusing...), but the other ***Alex*** deck that had a similar success to me. This one was playing Tiger Fury and Hyper Bomb, so the heat was on to kill fast. We were toe to toe throughout, with me taking game 1 with a huge Seichu to the face, and ***Alex*** took game 2 thanks to a huge Hyper Bomb. We didn't manage to finish the third match, but we darn well tried! A 1-1 draw.

Overall score = 1W, 2L, 1D, coming somewhere in the middle.

We received our prize support and participation promos, which bagged us copies of ::Zangief::, **Felicia**, **Demitri**, Soul Calibur foundations (including Chester's! but I didn't get any ;_; ) and more. We also got the new promo Heel Snipe, a Raphael attack which I can spoil for those who want to know.

So Colchester didn't do too bad really. We had 8 players, and 3 of them top 8'd! Joe with :::Akuma:::, Jonathan, who surprised us all with *Adon*, and most of all Kyle with *Elena* who ended up winning the tournament! Kyle recieved a HUGE pile of promos, including the new :::Ken::: and ::Blanka::, both of which are just awesome! I can inform that Kyle has already built a Blanka deck on the train returning from Loughborough.

Following the tournament, we had our group photo, which consisted of some shenanigans with Justin jumping on me and nearly choking me out(!), and we also went out for some noodles with Steve and Heather. We went back to Colchester satisfied with our results, and glad we went for such a great time in Loughborough!

Loved this tournament, it was insanely good fun, and I had two of the best matches I think I've ever had with this game over the weekend. I was playing Akuma:::. and ended up with 6th place, which I was very happy with :) Also, the prize support was awesome. Very pleased to see Heel Snipe, I reckon thats going to see a heck of a lot of play. Picking promos like Mitsurugi:::, Donovan:, Ken::: and Blanka:: was also pretty swishy ;)

ufsnationals017.jpg

Ricky in full on Dan pose.................................. happy.gif

Yahoo!!!

Now if only we can get our own avatars... I'd so have the one of Kyle's Crippling Strike!

If only!

SF nats was great, had loads of fun!

It was so awesome you were all surprised at adon excuse me ricky but but IM SURPRISED HEHEHE i am going off to do my own report for once hehehe have fun reading it when its done

it was a legacy event i asume. wish we could do a streetfighter nats in america.

Actually, no it wasn't, Block 2/3 seemed to work pretty well considering the restriction though. There are a LOT of SF sets, after all ;)