Review from Johnny Shoes

By johnny shoes, in Elder Sign: Omens

Devoured by Cthulhu. 3,055. 53 turns, 55 items, 74 tasks, 26 adventures, 5 monsters, 3 other worlds, 8 elder signs.

Same team. Two insane by doom nine. Five attempts at R'Yleh, two with no red gem, three with all gems. All insane at ten doom. Jenny went in armed. Two of the attempts went in with red and yellow plus something. Attempts came together late. Rose the city late. Got all gems late, especially red at the last. Had two or three doom first phase. One investigator got stung at one sanity with a midnight sanity effect. One green lock adventure, two red lock monsters, all in the Thule phase. Again, my only +2 doom was after two visits to wimp up in the janitor's closet, phase one. Surprised how long I hung in there, see stats, and the R'y attempts in vain. Had a hail mary feel to it. At least I played a better game than last.

Devoured by Cthulhu. 3,330. 50 turns, 64 items, 74 tasks, 27 adventures, 6 monsters, 5 other worlds, 8 elder signs

In the end it's tempting to gamble a doom fail adventure. Watchman was trouble. Yellow and Red Yellow Monster. Trending up on dooms first phase, targeting the eigth doom and racking up goods. Avoided doom +2 and monster +3 doom with one fail but no trigger. Reached a high in adventures and items. My cthulhu individual bests are:

55 turns, 64 items, 74 tasks, 27 adventures, 10 monsters, 5 other worlds

Devoured by Cthulhu 1,265. 27 turns, 26 items, 37 tasks, 12 adventures

Y'ever notice when you have a monster killer spell, you always roll the runes you need to kill it anyway, runes that don't usually match another task? Summer may be the culprit, or this losing streak. But this poorly played game took me nine days. I think it's time for a new expansion. I think the main board could have some FFG activity. Any whispers of an update?

4,425, saved. 27 turns, 41 items, 53 tasks, 22 adventures, 8 empty doom slots, two insane investigators.

Twenty seven turns, cool. Had this great run of adventure wins to start, straight through the Thule on eight signs. Down around two doom the whole time. All game, only five turns I didn't win an adventure. Until finally Jenny lost the only "regular season" loss. (Jenny also bought a clue once). I lost at R'yleh once, driving "Unique" Investigator insane. Scrounge got bit by a game effect at one Sanity. Never had to unlock a red or yellow. Unlocked green Blotting out the Stars. Won R'yleh with four doom but minus five hundred on the investigators. Stealth. Second attempt. All gems accounted for. Island up easily.

Devoured, 2,130. 26 turns, 39 items, 41 tasks, 17 adventures, 6 monsters, 5 other worlds, 8 elder signs, 4 dead

No gems. 23 left in the investigate pool. Had two glitches boarding the Thule. If you stop the game at that plateau, it will send you back to the museum. If you save the game, it will send you back to the museum. So, in this instance, I made sure to win an adventure on the Thule, then save. Sent me back to the museum, twice. I played a bumbling early game. I was at 8 doom for like ever. So, I started playing for monsters and other worlds in the first phase, just to stack up numbers in some category.

Patterns persist. At Sailor's Doom with red gem wild, I used the 4 investigate for the easy 3 investigate task and got rewarded on the harder next task. Elsewhere, chose the -1 san task first, kept the locked terror, and made the scroll last turn, like the computer likes you to. Play the low odds it gives you, and hazardous roads it gives you. Payed 15 for a -5 investigate. Won a five coin. Two Thule duds. Regardless, it wasn't like the deck chairs were buoyant enough to keep the investigators afloat.

1.21 GIGAWATTS!!

(Oh, ho hum by the way I went: 7,015. 53 turns, 81 items, 109 tasks,

48 adventures, 6 monsters, 3 other worlds, 12 elder signs, 3 slots)

Did you see WHAT QUOC AN DID ??? Go to the high score thread!

20,140 points. 210 turns, 321 items, 408 tasks, 183 adventures. Look it up.

Quoc An is the master. He found the master key and used it with mastery. His achievement is beyond comparison, beyond belief. He deconstructed the game. He broke the game. In two or three screen shots he showed us the impossible. Unlike Houdini, he told us his trick.

Play Marie Lambeau, Witch Blood, alone. My first attempt, my highest score. And he still beat me by 13 thousand.

183 adventures!!? How do you even go 183 turns without dooming out?

Again, that's One Hundred and Eighty Three Adventures won.

Any update will need to address Quoc An and his witch.

I named my new high score Quoc An cth11 (my eleventh win versus cthulhu). What does he do when he hits that adventure where you lose all your coins and you have like 20? I bet he just loses them and piles on more. Even I went 48 won adventures in 53 turns. Five hospital trips, no losses.

So, interesting.

On 6/1/2012 at 12:46 AM, johnny shoes said:

Thank you for reading. I just lost the next game. I guess this is now a log entry. Who knows what nuggets might emerge. 42 turns, 39 items, 55 tasks, 20 adventures. I gave a good effort without the yellow gem. Keeping Rita, but barely. She hangs tough though. I think old yellow Wilson has to go.

R'yleh: Rita brought red, re-roll Xender Discord Omegle and three greenies for an almost. Jenny and Dexter came in each with a red a lock and a re-roll and came close and not so close. I don't lock terror and certainly not skulls in advance. I want more runes for the next immediate task. Disagreement? I miss a terror I didn't lockā€¦

I waited out the clock, Dexter even bought a 15 cost -1doom. So we milked that until 10 doom before going in. Managed to avoid most everything, paid off my green lock at the docks. And the night watchman green lock. I may have defeated all midnight effects, except a plus two doom. There, I was going to battle monsters then come in with the next character. I forgot the clock had advanced and got nailed three doom. I came in to phase two with three doom and soon four, but it slowed. Guess that's what cost me, the three doom. I just could not get the yellow gem in time and had to go in. And I did wimp to the Ultima Thule toward the end avoiding adventures. Using dough. Seemed smart. Stay alive, avoided adventures a bit. That probably cost me too, or kept me alive. Rolls of the dice. Hard to say.

I would say never pay down the investigate pool.

I still don't know how to tell if an investigator will get lock help from other investigators until they emerge on the right. Is there a key I'm missing?

Azathoth feels old already. I know there are changes, like minus doom. And he will net you the highest score. But still. Yig is cool because I so rarely play it and it has its own science and fiery color.

I hate deep one swarms. I hate when you know it's over. Like six bad things happen at once. Feels like it turns on a dime. Usually I feel like the computer knows, "you suck this campaign. I've seen enough bad play. Play out the string. Throw yourself to the beasts. I don't care. You are Devoured."

Could still place a win in the 3,000 range. But I'll probably die. I don't get too many midnight wallops I see complained about on the board. But they sure do happen, doom plus two, two monster, another doom. But also with a loss of sanity, I can't remember. Is there any loss of strength? I forget. I just play to survive. I fight off the color locks, the midnight effects, and I try to choose wisely. Usely I'm too conservative. Often I space a key decision. I think that's what gets most of us. What to roll when, or when to feed the investigator clock (circles adventure?). Which adventure to choose is easier to decide wisely. I go to the Ultima Thule (buy stuff) not rarely. It always seems like you're just pushing the clock foreward hard when you wimp out at the hospital or overbuy. But, unlike another post I read, I think sometimes you use the money, and certainly for health.

Edited by HAILITY