Dwarves and Eagles?

By Tyberius_Deangelo, in Strategy and deck-building

Hello everyone:

I am thinking about combining my two favorite deck types (dwarves and eagles) together in a possible Tactics and Spirit deck with the heroes Gimli, Thalin, and Dwalin. Has anyone tried to combine these two together?

ive combined dwarves and eagles, but i believe i used tactis and leadership so i could field dain, which really buffs up a dwarf deck

I would love to use Dain Ironfoot, but, unfortunately, the person I play the game with has grabbed him for his deck.

Excellent, so you don't have to use him. Your dwarves will benefit of him too. I would suggest you to comine tactics and lore. Neither spirit nor leadership has many dwarves.

Tyberius_Deangelo said:

I would love to use Dain Ironfoot, but, unfortunately, the person I play the game with has grabbed him for his deck.

get 'em told! i want dain!! lengua.gif

I just got Khazad-Dum for my birthday and in an attempt to get my wife to play, told her I won't play the scenarios till I've beaten them with her first. We've only tried Into the Pit twice and she was running Gimli, Thalin, Dwalin while I ran Dain, Gloin, and Bifur. However, we didn't use Eagles because of their cost. Now, if you could convince your Leadership partner to play Steward of Gondor on one of your Tactics dwarves instead of his own heroes, you could get some serious action. Make sure you have The Eagles Are Coming so you can draw a lot of your eagle allies and then play them with your Steward of Gondor and Horn of Gondor resources.

It all sounds pretty on paper, but these sorts of strategies never work out for me. There's always one essential card that I can't seem to get and then the whole thing falls apart tragically.

[On a sidenote, we haven't beaten Into the Pit yet and I think it's because our decks were overly thematic, including all dwarves and dwarf buffs, but excluding all elves because the two races don't usually get along.]

Budgernaut said:

I just got Khazad-Dum for my birthday and in an attempt to get my wife to play, told her I won't play the scenarios till I've beaten them with her first. We've only tried Into the Pit twice and she was running Gimli, Thalin, Dwalin while I ran Dain, Gloin, and Bifur. However, we didn't use Eagles because of their cost. Now, if you could convince your Leadership partner to play Steward of Gondor on one of your Tactics dwarves instead of his own heroes, you could get some serious action. Make sure you have The Eagles Are Coming so you can draw a lot of your eagle allies and then play them with your Steward of Gondor and Horn of Gondor resources.

It all sounds pretty on paper, but these sorts of strategies never work out for me. There's always one essential card that I can't seem to get and then the whole thing falls apart tragically.

[On a sidenote, we haven't beaten Into the Pit yet and I think it's because our decks were overly thematic, including all dwarves and dwarf buffs, but excluding all elves because the two races don't usually get along.]

I agree with you. I played a Tactics/Leadership deck with Steward and and Horn and could NEVER pull the Steward early enough to take advantage of it. I am going back to the drawing board trying to come up with a new strategy.

Budgernaut said:

interesing- i had alot of trouble with into the pit but ended up winning using my favourite dain,bifur,gloin (with as many dwarf cards as i can fit) deck

I really love eagles as I very often due to cooperative play have to play the tactics sphere! But I have a little ethical problem here! Usually the eagles come to the rescue from the sky! How do they interfere in battles in the deep places of the world? There is no stinking sky for them to come!

I know what you mean ruchlas… I always feel like a bit of a fraud playing eagles in moria even though no rules say you can't. Lol. Just try and imagine a flock of eagles waddling through the tunnels and you might feel a bit better happy.gif

If you are going by the movies … Moria is huge. After all, the Balrog had no difficulty stomping around and chasing the fellowship. Despite being short, the dwarfs apparently included extremely high ceilings in their floorplans (overcompensation?)

Thus, I don't see any difficulty in the eagles being able to fly around in Moria, except maybe in just a few areas/rooms.

dvang said:

If you are going by the movies … Moria is huge. After all, the Balrog had no difficulty stomping around and chasing the fellowship. Despite being short, the dwarfs apparently included extremely high ceilings in their floorplans (overcompensation?)

Thus, I don't see any difficulty in the eagles being able to fly around in Moria, except maybe in just a few areas/rooms.

Fly yes but enter? How do they enter Moria? Do they have to have to say "Mellon" at the east gate?

partido_risa.gif

east gate

WEST gate it is. I always confuse this east-west thing. Sorry Professor.