Weyland?

By SlamDance, in Android: Netrunner The Card Game

Weyland.

Weyland.

WEYLAND?!

Weyland…

Okay, no. I've got no specific questions here, I'm just… I'm an old-school NetRunner player, see, so I'm already invested in apexes of badass like Arasaka and Militech. It was also FFG's announcement about re-releasing NetRunner that drew me here. I have no existing investment in the world of Android; Haas-Bioroid, Jinteki and NBN are a little too, "Who?" for me right now.

But Weyland, now… That's got cachet . Weight . It means something, even if what it really means isn't what I've invested in it.

So if you see me off at the back of the cafeteria trying to combine a Guy Pearce impersonation with a Lance Henriksen one and find yourself thinking, "Geez, what a weirdo," just, y'know, keep walking.

Or maybe join in!

"I'm really an okay guy."

"I can't lie to you about your chances, but… you have my sympathies."

"If you'll indulge me… I'd like to change the world…"

"Crew: Expendable."

How about you?

I think it's awesome! The Weyland Consortium could easily be the same Weyland Corporation that appears in Prometheus, but named differently to reflect changes in its hierarchy during or after its construction of the space elevator. This alternative meaning likely did not exist at the time that the Design Team named the A:NR factions, but an unintentional link to popular sci-fi culture like this strikes me as welcome and fortuitous. ^_^

I thought this is just the new name for the company after Weyland Smithers inherited it from Mr. Burns.

The Android universe is chock full of references like that: Armitage Software, Olivaw Robotics, Bradbury Towers (two references in one!), Blue Sun Stadium…

Hell, the botanical gardens are named "Memories of Green", and I only got that because I read the titles of the Blade Runner movie soundtrack! :)

Derp. Double post.

That was my initial reaction as well. I'm very intersted in the Android universe, though I've never actually played any games in it (I'm thinking of picking up Infiltration, though).

However when I saw "Weyland" my eyes bugged out. That brought a whole new level of creepy to the feeling of what the Runner is exactly up against, even if it isn't the same as from the Alien and Aliens movies.

subochre said:

The Android universe is chock full of references like that: Armitage Software, Olivaw Robotics, Bradbury Towers (two references in one!), Blue Sun Stadium…

Haha, that's awesome!

The world is rich in references. I don't believe any of these are accidental. Remember their designers and writers are every bit as big fans of these hallowed items in geekdom as we are.

Penfold said:

The world is rich in references. I don't believe any of these are accidental. Remember their designers and writers are every bit as big fans of these hallowed items in geekdom as we are.

I wouldn't have it any other way. They should be designing games that they themselves would love to play (and likely do, once the product is finalized).