From the darkness to the light

By Heebøll, in Android

Here is just an idea for a house rule that I've been thinking of. The idea is to make the players and their detectives follow the narrative of their plots in a more film-noir kind of way: First everything goes bad, and the tragedies almost rip the heart out of the heroes, but then at the end they just manage to come by afterall.

So the idea is very simple. At the end of the first week count the points each detective has made so far (excluding hunches), reverse the sign (so negative becomes positive), and write the numbers down. At the end of the game add these points to the total score of the detectives.

This should modify the tactics of the detectives a little bit. Trauma is good at first, if you can remove it later. Haas and Jinteki tokens are bad. Maybe it would be profitable to gain a sad ending in the first plot. Maybe it would be a bad move only to focus on the conspiracy puzzle, unless you can make others pay for their favors.

I haven't tried this idea yet and I don't know if it'll work, but I just thought I would share it, so some of you could have a chance to try it out. It's a very simple house rule that could change a lot of the strategies in the game. On the other hand it might also tip the balance between the detectives. It deserves a try I think.

Heebøll