Always wanted a Sci-Fi LCG, but…

By Ruvion, in Android: Netrunner The Card Game

would this game be able to be expanded into a multiplayer format (a la AGoT melee format)?
What say you Netrunner CCG veterans?

Multiplayer NetRunner was, and will continue to be, the worst way to play the game.

The best thing about NetRunner is its balance. When both players are competent, a starter-deck game gives *equal* chances to both sides — it's remarkably tense, and most enjoyable. As soon as the rules are futzed about for more than two players, that balance gets lost.

If you've got three people, get a fourth, and play two games.

Frisky AI said:

Multiplayer NetRunner was, and will continue to be, the worst way to play the game.

The best thing about NetRunner is its balance. When both players are competent, a starter-deck game gives *equal* chances to both sides — it's remarkably tense, and most enjoyable. As soon as the rules are futzed about for more than two players, that balance gets lost.

If you've got three people, get a fourth, and play two games.

True, but I'm one of the voices that we could enhance the multiplayer play. And i do think that this new version might give us some new blood into it.

How would multiplayer even work for an asymmetrical game? Would it be teams?

If I recall right there were versions where one Corporation player and one Hacker player teams up to take out another team. It ends up as two side by side games with a system for cash to be passed within teams.

If memory serves, there was a "Corp Wars" format with two-player teams. Each team would have a Corp player and a Runner, and I'd like to say they had a shared bit pool and victory points.

hey guys just read the cards … this NR isn't NR anymore …

wormhole surfer said:

A) stop B) it's a remake not a reprint C) be happy the game you love is getting a new lease on life. Most games never get the chance.

Toqtamish said:

wormhole surfer said:

A) stop B) it's a remake not a reprint C) be happy the game you love is getting a new lease on life. Most games never get the chance.

a remake taking the same name of the original ?

i would have prefer a different name so .

They bought the game system, and if they didn't call it Netrunner no one would know that it is related to that dead ccg. You would think if you are such a big fan you would be grateful your game got a second chance.

Toqtamish said:

You would think if you are such a big fan you would be grateful your game got a second chance.

Toqtamish wins.

FINISH HIM!

wormhole surfer said:

Yeah. If only they'd called it 'Android: Netrunner' or something like that, so you could tell the difference.

wormhole surfer said:

Toqtamish said:

wormhole surfer said:

a remake taking the same name of the original ?

After having read through all of the items I have on both bgg and this site, I'm pretty much convinced you would only be happy if you were lead design and making money off the product. You claim that your fan made expansions have kept the game fresh and evolving, but I haven't seen one in looking through the ccg sites that I have, which means you either haven't kept the game fresh or have created an elitist society where only the veteran players can play, and now you want your cards to become cannon. I got news for you, the fan made sets you've made aren't Netrunner either. They're dream sets. They're the CCG equivalent of fan fiction. I really doubt you had the funds to try and get this printed and are now lashing out at anyone who is stepping on your dream of being the next Richard Garfield. Also, if you are convinced this isn't your Netrunner, keep playing "your game" with your friends who know your secret handshake and leave this game to the players who can get behind it.

And even if I'm wrong and the changes they have made will cause the game to not be as good as the original, at least I can get a chance to play this with a few people around here who don't necessarily have to find cards from 15 years ago.

Getting back on topic here…

There probably will be some sort of multiplayer variant, whether it's official or fan-made by mimicking the old one they used to have (which has already been stated to not be that good).

Personally, I highly doubt there will be any sort of GOOD multiplayer variant, the game just isn't built for it. There are two asymmetrical sides, which points to exactly two players. If you have four players, play two games.

Perhaps sometime in the future FFG will come out with another LCG designed for multiple players. Maybe Star Wars will offer this, I don't know what's going on with that one. Or maybe if Netrunner is a success we'll see them license Vampire: TES, which was designed from the ground up as a multiplayer game.

Yeah… there'll be multiplayer for this just like there's multiplayer for WH:I. Don't count on it. The front of the box obviously says a game for 2 players.