Crown Regent (ADWD Spoiler)

By KristoffStark, in 6. AGoT Spoiler Space

Okay, so a thought just randomly occurred to me last night:

As of ADWD Epilogue, the Grand Maester and the Crown Regent are dead, and will need to be replaced.

Now, with the Grand Maester, that's not so tough, I'm sure the Archmaesters will elect a new one (though the intreagues involved might be fun), but with Kevin dead, who will serve as Tommon's Regent?

I suppose Cearsi might try to for it again, but given her crimes, would anyone support her?

Who does that leave? I thought that someone might suggest Jamie, but not only is that problematic (being Kingsguard), but I'm not sure he'd do it.

Thoughts?

I'm sure Mace Tyrrell would be willing to take that heavy burden upon himself, for the good of the Kingdom, you understand. Garth, or Mace or someone.

Whether Jaime would be offered it / willing to do it, would probably depend a lot on how/if/when he returns from his ride with Brienne.

Littlefinger would probably take the job if offered it.

Perhaps Tyrek Lannister will re-appear to take his uncle's place.

Personally, my money's on Ser Pounce

I hadn't considered Mace, he's probably a strong candidate.

I think that Mace will become the new regent, but he will be next in line to go. Varys said that Kevan was undoing the queen's good work, so he probably wants Cersei as the regent. Well, maybe not, since Mace seems as stupid as Cersei sometimes. Varys could live with Mace as regent.

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken said:

I think that Mace will become the new regent, but he will be next in line to go. Varys said that Kevan was undoing the queen's good work, so he probably wants Cersei as the regent. Well, maybe not, since Mace seems as stupid as Cersei sometimes. Varys could live with Mace as regent.

After going back and reading this section again, I'm don't think Varys is referring to Cersei when he says the "queen's" good work. My thoughts go to Elia or someone similar, because, in the same breath, he talks about Aegon and how his life had been planned beyond just keeping him from Robert et al. IMO, I think Varys is a Targaryen man, through-and-through.

When Varys mentioned the queen's "good work", i am positive he was being totally sarcastic.

Varys wanted Cersei in charge, because he knew she would eventually ruin everything. She almost did, actually. In the state the country would be after a few years of Cersei's regency, it would be a lot easier to supplant the Lannisters, Baratheons and anyone else for that matter, with a rightful Targaryen prince such as Aegon, or even Daenerys, even though her claim was weaker.

Kevan, on the other hand, was a much more careful and able Regent, and he was actually going to do some real good work, which might eventually foil Varys' plans for the return of the Targaryens.

So, yes, I believe Varys -IS- referring to Cersei when mentioning her "good work", and I think it is shown pretty clearly that he is still Targaryen.

I also think Mace Tyrell would be a likely candidate. He certainly would appreciate it, even if Cersei wouldn't.

I know he's a schemer, but I'm not sure he had the intention of preventing good works from being done by Kevan. I think he is more concerned with getting rid of Cersei for good… which would be harder if Kevan took over and sent her back to Casterly Rock.

He may still have been referring to Cersei sarcastically when he mentioned Kevan ruining the queen's good work, and you present a reasonable case. I'm still mostly convinced he was referring either to Elia or Danaerys.

As far as Crown Regent…. no telling. Cersei could easily dig her own grave, and take herself out of the picture effectively if placed back in this position, but I don't see it being a viable option. Mace Tyrell is a valid choice, but how does that help him put Aegon or Dany on the throne?

~ This and more in the next book of the Song of Ice and Fire series, slated for release late 2025 ~

Well Varys seemed pretty confident that Cersei would take over again. Mace Tyrell does have his army in the city but money is on Cersei.

Support:

1. Varys agrees. He can make it happen.

2. Cersei may have been toned down after her shame but there's no way she'd see Kevin murdered by "Tyrion's" hand and just stand by while "Tyrion" finishes off Tommen and then her.

3. She may have been shamed but her position as queen still provides her with real authority. The Kingsguard remains loyal to her. The Smallfolk may riot in the streets but when has that ever concerned her?