Rule Question: Damaging Terrain

By bthermans, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hi,

I am pretty sure there is a rule that states something like: "If you start your turn on damaging terrain, and did not move out of it during your turn you suffer it's effects at the end of the turn." Where damaging terrain is stuff like Lava, Scything Blades, a monster's Aura X.

I just cannot find the page where this is stated anymore, so my question is whether I copied those rules from Doom (where I am sure it is like this) and should markt this as a house rule or wether I am just blind and cannot find the correct page.

Thanks!

Damaging Terrain would by the Lava and Corrupted terrain, both of which are technically obstacle props, and Scything Blades and Dart Fields, which are trap props. I looked exhaustively through the various rule books and found no general statement like the one you described. Lava says, "move on to," Scything Blades and Dart Fields say, "a figure moves so that any part of the figure is occupying a Scything Blade space," Keep in mind that monsters can suffer these affects! The effect of Ice, while not damaging, is activated like Lava's, any figure entering an ice space can possibly fall.

Corrupted terrain works entirely differently. Its effects are triggered whenever a hero occupying it spends fatigue or loses one or more wounds. If these conditions are not present, no effect.

With that said, I houserule that if a figure stays on Lava, Scything Blades or Dart Fields, the figure suffers its effects by the end of his turn.

Thanks for the answer, guess I mixed the rules of some games :-)

And I was aware that "Damaging Terrain" was not an official term, but I guess my meaning was clear. I ll just make it an houserule now

bthermans said:

I am pretty sure there is a rule that states something like: "If you start your turn on damaging terrain, and did not move out of it during your turn you suffer it's effects at the end of the turn." Where damaging terrain is stuff like Lava, Scything Blades, a monster's Aura X.

It's in the FAQ. Near the bottom of page 6 (for version 1.4).

Q: What happens if you are on a lava space at the beginning of your turn and you don’t move?
A: If you begin your turn on a damaging effect, such as lava or a monster’s aura, and do not move off of it, you are damaged by it at the end of your turn.

Does this apply to the aura of hero, if a monster does not move out of it?

Nothing in the rules and FAQ on that. I think it really depends on what you thing the person's Aura is... I associate it with a flame shield or things of that nature, so I houserule that it's in the same idea as damaging terrain.

But, if you're going by the letter of the rules, then no... they only take damage when they enter an adjacent space.

edroz said:

Q: What happens if you are on a lava space at the beginning of your turn and you don’t move?
A: If you begin your turn on a damaging effect, such as lava or a monster’s aura, and do not move off of it, you are damaged by it at the end of your turn.

You are my hero, thanks!

(Note to self: it is called damaging effect)

The arua Rule effects Enemies of the Figure that has Aura... this includes the Hero's Aura Ability on Minions. Though remember the enemy can only be affected initailly by moving into the aura not the aura moving to the Enemy.

Example - Aura - Page 22 of JiTD Rule book.

Each time an enemy figure moves into a space adjacent

to a figure with the Aura ability, it immediately suffers

1 wound that cannot be reduced by armor. The Aura

ability inflicts no damage when the figure that possesses

the ability moves adjacent to an enemy figure.

Aura is a damaging effect, in esseance any Minion ending its turn next to a hero that has Aura should suffer 1 wound as per Damaging effect rule.