What is this game like ?

By Dicenilee, in Arcana Revised Edition

I love cadwallon and the whole world, I was a fan back in the days of Rackham.

I came across this the other day and wondered is it any good ?? what level, hard easy ?

Thanks all!

It's a pretty easy game to play, the rules don't explain it in the best way however so it may take a few run-throughs until you are fluent in the game but as each game only takes about 20-30 minutes (2 player) that isn't much of an investment. It's our favourite portable game at the moment, really easy to set up and play. One of the simpler deck building games.

What would you say the age range is for this? I was looking into grabbing this for my 11 year old.

I have played it with my 8 year old and he did great.

it's pretty simple for kids, but just a heads up that some of the artwork is a bit "adult" in nature, depending on your personal standards for your kids…there's some scantily clad fantasy babes, and some of the artwork is a little twisted and disturbing…Me and my 11 yr old son play it, but i'm just giving a heads up in case this matters to you…

Arcana has rapidly become the favourite game for myself and my family. We play it whenever we get together, and as we travel a lot by plane, we will often pull out the Arcana cards, clear a coffee table in the airport, and just start playing. People often watch on, intrigued by the beautiful cards being played out, and the beauty of it is when our flight is called, or when time just runs out, we can simply end the round, count up the score, and crow mercilessly (and lovingly) over whoever won.

My 15 year old daughter is a fiendish strategist at the game, and the blood tends to run out from others faces when she lays down her Silver Tear card, which is usually the lynchpin in some devious strategy. My 10 year old holds his own, and it has been supportive of his literacy and numeracy (as well as his abstract and strategic thinking). My wife accuses me of cheating but also bats her eyelids at me which sometimes works…

We have also introduced Arcana to lots of our non-gamey friends. A few of them dont get it, but most get hooked really easily, and teaching them is as simple as one demonstration open hand round. Before the end of round one is over they are usually agressively bidding to gain dominance…

Arcana is a top game, and very expandable within the basic box. I just wish there were expansions available… Hmmm… that would be fun to design…

As to the lurid nature of the art… I think you would have to be prudish to the point of wanting to look away blushing from underwear catalogues to be offended… unless you really get turned on by slavering wolf women-things in strips of binding leather… er… on the other hand…

In short, Arcana rules! More please!