Help!

By Afreet, in Elder Sign: Omens

Hi all, I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on this game. I've played five times so far on normal and lost every time, and I think I'm still missing something given the number of people who say how easy it is.

For instance, in my last game a had one adventure that was locking a green glyph so I figured that was a natural target, and luckily it only had 2 objectives (or whatever they're called), one with one skull and one with two skulls. The first investigator I sent was the guy who can reroll his clues an extra time and he had 3 clues so I figured there was no way I could NOT win, but after taking out the one skull objective in the first round I rolled my remaining 4 glyphs 7 times (3 clues times 2 attempts each + the original) and didn't get a single skull! My remaining rolls also failed to land a skull. So then my next investigator went up and had a yellow glyph, but managed to not roll a single skull the entire time. My third investigator had no items and rolled a grand total of one skull, and my fourth went in with one clue and managed a total of zero skulls the entire time. Suffice it to say, I quit after that game… Is there something that affects the glyph rolls that I haven't figured out yet? That was probably the most egregious example, and sent me right here to ask what I'm missing, but every game so far I've encountered adventures that look easy and just don't seem to go down because I roll absolutely nothing that I need. It's to the point that if it really is just random bad luck I probably will delete the game because it's so frustrating :(

Sounds like you had a good chance of success, but just had terrible luck. I would have taken that chance too.

One thing you might try before giving up. Play with one investigator only…Amanda. I have beaten each ancient one with her alone, the first time through on each try. Her ability to resolve more than one task per roll is priceless.

There are many combinations of characters that can lead to success in this game. Some skills might be better than others, but there is a general strategy that will serve you well. Play to suit the strengths of the characters you've chosen and early on in the game lean towards building up a war chest of items and trophies as opposed to going after elder signs and do your best to knock out those midnight effects - those things can kill you in a hurry if they are bad ones.

In the regular game picking and choosing your battles based on your character choices will really help you win. Honestly, that's not even necessary in and of itself to win - but it will help, A LOT.

In the expansion I have only been able to win with one set of character choices so far, and it worked the first time I tried it. Curious to hear about others' experiences. I kept having a shortage of items in the second half of the game - that is what really seemed to be killing me. So, I followed the aforementioned strategy but I took the three characters that get you extra items: the one that gets extra spells, the one that gets extra common items, and the one that gets extra unique items. My fourth character was Amanda - the one that completes extra tasks per roll. While we were at the museum I loaded up on items sending each character to complete missions based on the reward. Common item reward? Send the common item guy, etc. When I made it to the second half of the game I had plenty of items and breezed right through after 3-4 miserable failures prior.