House Tyrell Strategy

By FalloutGuy004, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game

I would like to hear from other Thrones Board Game fanatics some strategies they have found that work for house Tyrell in a 6 man game. The way I see it, they are the most hamstrung to start the game. Limited access to castles, and Crowns(the painted kind on the board). No stars to start the game from the Raven Track which is brutal. And the only house to truly have 3 enemies close enough to battle with them early in the game.

On the positive side, they have an above average deck. Its no Greyjoy deck, but the queen of Thorns card is one of the best 0 cards, if not the best in the game(argument for patchface in Baratheon, but you have to time it right), Mace is strong, and Ser Loras card is huge as an army destroyer and a late game castle grabber. Another positive is that the land and sea areas are very insulated and you can set up a very tough defense to break through. Final Positive, you can get to 6 barrells for supply realitively easily. That allows you to be a major force later in the game.

Who are Tyrells best allies. What first moves would you make. How much focus on the sea. Which 7 castles are the best to target.

Will write my thoughts later, but at work and out of time.

FalloutGuy004 said:

I would like to hear from other Thrones Board Game fanatics some strategies they have found that work for house Tyrell in a 6 man game. The way I see it, they are the most hamstrung to start the game. Limited access to castles, and Crowns(the painted kind on the board). No stars to start the game from the Raven Track which is brutal. And the only house to truly have 3 enemies close enough to battle with them early in the game.

On the positive side, they have an above average deck. Its no Greyjoy deck, but the queen of Thorns card is one of the best 0 cards, if not the best in the game(argument for patchface in Baratheon, but you have to time it right), Mace is strong, and Ser Loras card is huge as an army destroyer and a late game castle grabber. Another positive is that the land and sea areas are very insulated and you can set up a very tough defense to break through. Final Positive, you can get to 6 barrells for supply realitively easily. That allows you to be a major force later in the game.

Who are Tyrells best allies. What first moves would you make. How much focus on the sea. Which 7 castles are the best to target.

Will write my thoughts later, but at work and out of time.

Playing as Tyrell in a six person game is interesting, because you have no stars, a late turn (which doesn't matter for a few turns since no one really bothers with you, and a high Fiefdom start, only bettered by the Greyjoys. So play to your strengths, and play defensively. If you get too close to Martel you will be sent to the bottom of an influence track which will piss you off even more. Castles and power should be your first concern, since muster cards can come up, or you can bid for a star.

Opening moves: That said my starting move; would be to move all my units. From Highgarden the footman down to Oldtown, For the hope that the Muster card is played. The Dornish Marches footman to either Prince's Pass (although you are getting closer to Martel territory) or The Reach in the hope that the Muster card is played. Marching the boat from Redwyne Straights into the Oldtown Port (to farm power in the next turn.

The 7 castles I target are

1. Highgarden (home)
  2. Oldtown (right below home)
  3. The Reach (right to home)
  4. Flint's Finger (steal for 7th castle)

If you want to attack Martel the other 3 will be Starfall, Yronwood, & Sunspear

If you want to attack Lannister the other 3 will be Lannisport, Starfall & Yronwood

If you want to attack Baratheon the other 3 will be King's Landing, Storms End/Yronwood and Starfall

Allies: depends on who are you playing with.

Greyjoy: Keeps Lannister off your back, but requires sunset sea to control Lannister, and that can be dangerous

Lannister: Keeps Greyjoy far away from you and is really only concerned with the castles in the middle of the map

Baratheon: Can check and eliminate Martel; if Martel pisses him off with Doran [forgot his name] (the 0 card)

Martel: Harasses Baratheon, slowly chipping away at his defenses

In short: focusing on building crowns & castles for mustering or gaining stars to muster. Only attack Martel after he uses Doran. Setup to steal 3/4 Castles in one turn (with Loras, Mace & Queen)

Playing as Tyrell in a six person game is interesting, because you have no stars, a late turn (which doesn't matter for a few turns since no one really bothers with you, and a high Fiefdom start, only bettered by the Greyjoys. So play to your strengths, and play defensively. If you get too close to Martel you will be sent to the bottom of an influence track which will piss you off even more. Castles and power should be your first concern, since muster cards can come up, or you can bid for a star.

Opening moves: That said my starting move; would be to move all my units. From Highgarden the footman down to Oldtown, For the hope that the Muster card is played. The Dornish Marches footman to either Prince's Pass (although you are getting closer to Martel territory) or The Reach in the hope that the Muster card is played. Marching the boat from Redwyne Straights into the Oldtown Port (to farm power in the next turn.

The 7 castles I target are

1. Highgarden (home)
  2. Oldtown (right below home)
  3. The Reach (right to home)
  4. Flint's Finger (steal for 7th castle)

If you want to attack Martel the other 3 will be Starfall, Yronwood, & Sunspear

If you want to attack Lannister the other 3 will be Lannisport, Starfall & Yronwood

If you want to attack Baratheon the other 3 will be King's Landing, Storms End/Yronwood and Starfall

Allies: depends on who are you playing with.

Greyjoy: Keeps Lannister off your back, but requires sunset sea to control Lannister, and that can be dangerous

Lannister: Keeps Greyjoy far away from you and is really only concerned with the castles in the middle of the map

Baratheon: Can check and eliminate Martel; if Martel pisses him off with Doran [forgot his name] (the 0 card)

Martel: Harasses Baratheon, slowly chipping away at his defenses

In short: focusing on building crowns & castles for mustering or gaining stars to muster. Only attack Martel after he uses Doran. Setup to steal 3/4 Castles in one turn (with Loras, Mace & Queen)

Well answered. I agree with you on a lot of points. Especially targeting power tokens, because you HAVE to get higher on the Raven track to get a star. Castles are tough to worry about early cause you have to enter someone's zone to get one. The Reach is really hard to hold if Baratheon is aggressive, but that goes in to my alliance scheme that I'll talk about later.

Here are my opening three rounds. I don't like to bank on a muster in the first two rounds, but more than likely by the third round you will get a muster or a bid on the influence track Westeros card.

First turn: Move on Oldtown, Consolidate on Dornish Marches, support/raid/defense on Redwyne Straights boat(I could be wrong here but I think you have to have a boat in Redwyne Straights to be able to consolidate power out of the Oldtown Port)

Move Highgarden Footman to the Arbor, Highgarden Knight to Oldtown.

Collect Power: You now have 7(5 to start and 2 for Round)

Second Turn: Move on Oldtown, Consolidate power on Dornish Marches, Consolidate Power on Arbor, Support/Defense/Raid depending on your opponents on Redwyne Straights as GreyJoy/Lannister/Martell could all be getting closer to your business.

Move Knight in OldTown to the Barrell land right next to Oldtown. Leave Power token on Oldtwon. Collect Power Tokens(4)

Current Power is 10 (7+4-1) In my opinion, no other house can have 10 power at this point. If a bid comes up, take stock of what others have, you really only need 2 stars at this point for an extra move and a Consolidate* that can muster. If you can grab the Throne and pick up 2 stars, you are in pretty good shape from here on. I like the sword, but if they are at odds, Lannister or Greyjoy should be bidding heavy on it and if you won the throne, you can usually get 3rd or 4th on the track bidding 1 or 0 on the Fiefdom.

By this point, your home base is built up, its time to start moving out. If still no muster or bid has come up. Rinse and Repeat on consolidate power at Arbor and Dornish Marches, move your Knight back to Highgarden by way of your boat so he can be there to lend defense to your home base, and Support/Raid/Defense depending on situation for your boat in Redwyne Straights. Now you have 14 power and still primed to go get those stars on the Raven Track. Wildlings are also probably getting close to being a factor, so xtra power is not a bad thing. Sadly at this point, someone is probably sensing weakness by the lack of units on the board that are green and they will probably be looking to attack very soon. Which leads into Alliances.

In my opinion, Baratheon is your best bet for an Ally. He can keep Martell off your A$$ and you help by going after the guy you need to set your sights on Castlewise which is Lannister. This is ESPECIALLY true if GreyJoy and Lannister are at each others throats. Start building up, and make a deal with Baratheon on the Reach, to get your 3rd Castle. Then March north, not pissing off Martell who is dealing with your Ally, and focus on Lannister forces near Baratheon. You should be able to grab Harrenhal, RiverRun, and Lannisport, and then Back door a Martell castle for the win in the late rounds.

Lannister in my opinion is not a good ally, cause he can't do a lot for you with Baratheon, and almost nothing against Martell.

Martell makes a pretty good ally, but it is very easy for him to backdoor you late in the game because you will be taking on Lannister and he will be marching on Baratheon. His home base is South of yours, and with you going North, he will see easy pickins for himself on The Reach and even Oldtown or Highgarden if he is boat strong. Baratheon doesn't really have that option if he is your ally. All he can swipe is the Reach.

There is my Tyrell thoughts, I think it is pretty sound, but feel free to tear it apart. I want it perfected. I have vowed to only play as them till I win with them, and since the 10-12 guys I play with are all scared of my gameplay, I usually get ganged up on pretty big. No problem if I am Winterfell, or Martell, but the middle ground areas are tough for me.

I can't give you a very detailed explanation on how to play with Tyrell but I can give you some advice.

Never trust a Lannister. Make sure you stay well out of their reach (I play as Lannister all the time and Tyrell is my favourite to beat on) demonio.gif

Make an alliance with Baratheon, they can't directly attack you without being flanked by Martell or Lannister so they can support you against these foes.

Take the arbor and consolidate like crazy!

Muster an army of knights and use Loras to turn them into a mean green fighting machine.

Hey,

Just wanted to share another strategy, which is more late-game oriented.

1st turn: march orders to Highgarden & Dornish Marches.

Highgarden: Footman goes to Three Towers, Knight goes to Oldtown.

Dornish Marches: Footman goes to Prince's Pass.
The order for the ship is irrelevant.

2nd turn: march orders to Oldtown and Three towers, Consolidate power order to Prince's Pass.

Three Towers: Footman goes to Arbor.

Oldtown: Knight goes to Dornish Marches.

The order for the ship depends on the situation.

What is the reasoning for this strategy?

1) Your only real ally is Martell, since you both are the underdogs and early you can defend against him pretty well. (Which forces you to being honest with each other).

2) With 90% probability Pyke player will be a nightmare to Lannister, so using Baratheon as an ally doesn't give you much effort. You play defensively so just farm up.

3) Once you captured 4 barrels on the 1st turn - you don't have to worry about them anymore. 4 of 'em are enough to win.

4) After 2nd turn you will have 3 places to farm up, 2 of which you can use, which is great.

5) Keeping all the armies out of castles will dramatically increase the army you can produce with the muster card.

6) The only real need is few starts on King's Court track, which you can easilly get by just putting for starts

(all your money -1) during clash of the kings.

This leads to the 3rd turn, where you are able to pretty much chose passive farming strategy or enlarging the territories in case if Westeros phases were lucky for you.

Edited by dancemachine

These are all good. I have tried a few times an opening strat of getting an FM on the island with the crown, to generate PT's, but I think getting The Reach early, 1st game round, is actually usually a better idea. Problem is, Tyrell needs PT's right away to improve their position on the King's Court track.

Getting Reach instead of Three towers or Prince's Pass?

I am not sure that Tyrell can defend the Reach and if defending it is a worthy idea.

To be honest, practice shows that even few PT would be enough to get at least 1 star on a King's Court track. That is more than enough for mustering units. Tyrell doesn't need to be aggresive early on.

Also, after the first clash of the kings usually all of PTs will be spent for all players, so it doesn't really matter if other players will have more of them. The next Clash of Kings card will come and till then you'll be able to get more PTs.

And more - having high position on any influence track will make you a tasty cupcake for Martell to attack you early on. It's better to make Martell use Doran card on Baratheon.

Getting Reach instead of Three towers or Prince's Pass?

I am not sure that Tyrell can defend the Reach and if defending it is a worthy idea.

To be honest, practice shows that even few PT would be enough to get at least 1 star on a King's Court track. That is more than enough for mustering units. Tyrell doesn't need to be aggresive early on.

Also, after the first clash of the kings usually all of PTs will be spent for all players, so it doesn't really matter if other players will have more of them. The next Clash of Kings card will come and till then you'll be able to get more PTs.

And more - having high position on any influence track will make you a tasty cupcake for Martell to attack you early on. It's better to make Martell use Doran card on Baratheon.

Well put.

Tyrell is House that s "Growing Strong" :D

Strategy is similar to House Stark strategy - gather your forces first 2-3 rounds, wait for CoK and then act.

There is no point going agressive from the start of the game or you ll suffer heavy loses and gain almost nothing.

Be smart, gather power tokens, barells, armies and then move - especially if Martell fights Baratheon and Greyjoy fights Stark.

Your natural ally is House Martell in a very obvious reason - he has to expand somewhere and better option is Baratheon lands. "Southern alliance" happens very often - offer Martell either Prince s pass or Boneway - and agree not to attack him on Starfall (you can take Starfall later for win). Martell will agree becouse he needs to consolidate and his best places are 2 mentioned above (+Sunspear off course).

Plus, he has to feel safe on 1 border. :D

Only downside of this plan is - if CoK doesn t apper until 5th round - your tokens will mean nothing, becouse other houses will have plenty tokens too. One time CoK only come out on Round 7 so Tyrell was really devastated. But that rarely happens.

Opening move:

1.march+0 highgarden (move FT to Arbor - you can consolidate there all game if you want - and KN to Oldtown)

2.march-1 on ship (move ship to west summer sea) - you have to control this sea ASAP

3.cons on dornish marches

After that take Three towers and Prince s pass/Reach and gather resources.

If you are not greedy you can win game with Tyrell almost every game with 5 castles on 10 th turn.

That s it. Enjoy.

Always take West Summer Sea in 1st round! It's a must-have if you can't trust Martell enough. You will really need Defence order in 2nd round in WSS to be able to defend it if Martell musters ships and no mustering in West cards.
Also, consider taking Starfall in 1st round, if you think Martell goes for you. It will help you a lot if you are unlucky and no Clash and Mustering comes in West cards.