Some of My Hopes for Vehicles

By venkelos, in Only War

So, I might have already made it clear in earlier posts that I really hope that the Imperial Guard vehicles and tanks come in the book, and I am hoping that the look something like this. Partly, this is to see how close I might have gotten; when the game comes out, IF they give us tanks, I can see if I was at all close, while I can also see what other people think. So here they are.

For some reason this thread isn't displaying correctly.

BYE

I am seeing that. I tossed up some home brew stats for the LR and Basilisk.

I was thinking something like this:

Leman Russ Battle Tank
Type: Ground Vehicle
Tactical Speed: 15m
Cruising Speed: 70 kph
Maneuverability: +0
Structural Integrity: 45
Size: Enormous
Armor: Front 42, Side 31, Rear 20
Crew: Driver, Gunner, 2 Sponson Gunners
Carrying Capacity: None

Weapons
Battle Cannon (Range 300m, Heavy, S/-/-, 3d10+5 X, Pen 8, Clip 50, Blast (8), Devastating (4))

Hull-mounted weapons (choose one of the following three options):

• Heavy Bolter (Range 150m, Heavy, -/-/10, 2d10+10 X, Pen 6, Clip 400, Tearing)
  • Heavy Flamer (Range 30m, Heavy, S/-/-, 2d10+6 E, Pen 6, Clip 20, Flame)
  • Lascannon (Range 300m, Heavy, S/-/-, 6d10+10 E, Pen 10, Clip 30)

Sponson weapons (choose one of the following four options):

• Two Heavy Bolters (Range 150m, Heavy, -/-/10, 2d10+10 X, Pen 6, Clip 400, Tearing)
  • Two Heavy Flamers (Range 30m, Heavy, S/-/-, 2d10+6 E, Pen 6, Clip 20, Flame)
  • Two Multi-meltas (Range 60m, Heavy, S/-/-, 4d10+6 E, Pen 10, Clip 30)
  • Two Plasma Cannons (Range 150m, Heavy, S/-/-, 2d10+11 E, Pen 13, Clip 30, Blast (1))

Basilisk
Tactical Speed: 15m
Cruising Speed: 70 kph
Structural Integrity: 25
Armor: Front 31, Side 31, Rear 20
Crew: Driver, 2 Artillery Gunners

Weapons
Earthshaker Artillery Cannon (Range 100m-3360m, Heavy, S/-/-, 6d10+10 X, Pen 8, Clip 1, Blast (8), Devastating (4))

Hull-mounted weapons (choose one of the following two options):

(Variant #2) Earthshaker Artillery Cannon (Range 100m-3360m, Heavy, S/-/-, 6d10+10 X, Pen 8, Clip 1, Blast (8), Concussive, Devastating (4))
(Variant #3) Earthshaker Artillery Cannon (Range 100m-3360m, Heavy, S/-/-, 6d10+10 X, Pen 8, Clip 1, Blast (8), Concussive, Devastating (4)), Felling (1)

Also, I wasn’t certain how to reflect the Earthshaker’s indirect fire option, so I am leaving it out, for a more talented game mechanic to figure out. Perhaps use something similar to the Artillery Support Asset from Rites of Battle (p.217)

It isn't Black Crusade fashion, so no Proven (X), or such; maybe I could go back and update it, if I cared, or were asked. Not sure what all else it would require.

Isn't that speed a bit too high? I don't have the IA volumes that detail the physical characteristics of those vehicles, but iirc the IG vehicles usually sacrifice speed for protection. According to the lexicanum, their maximum speed is about half that.

You might be right, but I am not certain, either. I seem to remember Guard tanks going 12", same as SM tanks, and the Baneblade specifically says it goes 6", because it is a superheavy vehicle. A LR Battle Tank can sit still, move up to 6", or move up to 12". They can't "All Out" move, and it might affect their firing rate, but small price. So, I think that my speeds, similar to the SM tanks, are relatively accurate. I'm willing to flub that, fluff-wise, such speed might be hard to use, with weapons like an Earthshaker or Battle Cannon needing a bit more precision to their lobbing than is likely possible at any speed, so it's either "get where we're goin!", OR "Blast the hell outta them!"

I really wish this thread didn't look so off enfadado.gif

You know, someday, I may even learn my lesson. Upon further inspection of current IG source material, the LR and her variants are Lumbering Behemoths, so they should have an adjusted speed.

Leman Russ Battle Tank (Updated)
Tactical Speed: 12m
Cruising Speed: 50 kph
Structural Integrity: 45
Armor: Front 42, Side 31, Rear 20
Crew: Driver, Gunner, 2 Sponson Gunners, Two Additional Guardsmen

Weapons
Battle Cannon (Range 300m, Heavy, S/-/-, 3d10+5 X, Pen 8, Clip 50, Blast (8), Devastating (4))

Hull-mounted weapons (choose one of the following three options):

• Lascannon (Range 300m, Heavy, S/-/-, 6d10+10 E, Pen 10, Clip 30)

Sponson weapons (choose one of the following four options):

• Two Heavy Bolters (Range 150m, Heavy, -/-/10, 2d10+10 X, Pen 6, Clip 400, Tearing)
  • Two Heavy Flamers (Range 30m, Heavy, S/-/-, 2d10+6 E, Pen 6, Clip 20, Flame)
  • Two Multi-meltas (Range 60m, Heavy, S/-/-, 4d10+6 E, Pen 10, Clip 30)
  • Two Plasma Cannons (Range 150m, Heavy, S/-/-, 2d10+11 E, Pen 13, Clip 30, Blast (1))

The Basilisk isn't so encumbered, and so I'll leave it alone.

I can't read the entirety of your stats s the thread isn't displaying properly but it seems to me that you have the toughness (structure and armour) of the Leman Russ far too high, and the rate of fire on things like the heavy bolter too high and some damages are off.

The latter books in the 40k RP line have moved away from having huge dice pools for weapons, be it from a high rate of fire or lots of damage dice. Best example is the heavy bolter having its ROF reduced from 10 to 6 but having it's damage increased to balance it. The Proven-X trait (X is the minimum number each damage can roll, so a lascannon with Proven 3 is actually rolling 15 on 5d10, not a normal minimum of 5).

The source books for Deathwatch cover some Astartes vehicles in depth and your statted Leman Russ seems tougher than a Land Raider which doesn't make sense.