Expansion arriving

By Julia, in Rune Age

Here . I guess we summoned it :-)

Been looking forward to it for a long time!

Woot!

Auto-buy.

Huge news! This expansion looks to be a ton of new cards. I really like the idea of the mercenaries. The two new races are solid picks that everyone can identify with and the scenarios sound like a nice twist on gameplay to keep things fresh. I wish the article gave more info on the new units for the existing races. I hope the elves receive a boost as they are clearly the weakest race in the game. This expansion is a great chance to tweak gameplay to balance out a few issues.

Thank you FFG!

Here's a question… with the addition of two new races will the game support 5 and 6 players now?

Hmmm… Orcs and Dwarves. Sweet.

So far, Rune Wars and Rune Age have been standing next to each other regarding the playable races. Does that mean that an eventual Rune Wars expansion would also feature the Orcs and Dwarves in it?

Would be awesome, don't you think?

No matter, cannot wait to play the new Rune Age expansion, that is a sure buy.

We can only cross our fingers with a new expansion for Rune Wars which includes the Orcs and Dwarves. I was just talking with a friend about how this game would be better if you added in two more factions. From the little they have shown us on the cards it looks interesting with the dwarves and orcs special abilities. I agree that this makes Rune Age a must buy for those who haven't already bought it yet.

WOW!… thank goodness!… was wondering about this. I realy liked the base game it definetly could use this!!!

Thank you FFG, now take my money! gui%C3%B1o.gif

fconolly said:

Here's a question… with the addition of two new races will the game support 5 and 6 players now?

I second this question!

Thanks FFG, that's all I have to say :-D

I'm really excited about this too! Rune Age was the first card game I got into, and having this expansion has brought it all back to me again! Definitely an auto-buy for me, too. After the additional races for Runewars, I was hoping it wouldn't be too long before we saw something for this too…

I would've bought this just for the extra scenarios and units to the already existing races. The fact we get two new ones are just a huge bonus.

But I wonder what the Orc's will be like, as it seems the dwarves might have a strength with gold (like elves with influence) but I fear the orcs will be basic or too similar to the Uthuk.

Nevajas said:

fconolly said:

I second this question!

I'd like to know that too. If the expansion adds more gold, cities, and replaces some of the original Rune Age cards - then I'd say 5-6 players is possible.

grim_reaper_zig said:

I would've bought this just for the extra scenarios and units to the already existing races. The fact we get two new ones are just a huge bonus.

But I wonder what the Orc's will be like, as it seems the dwarves might have a strength with gold (like elves with influence) but I fear the orcs will be basic or too similar to the Uthuk.

I agree with you about the extra bonus of the two new races. I would have just bought it with new scenarios and units.

I think that the Orc's will be all about military might on the field. I see how they can be similar to the Uthuk, but the Uthuk are all about preying on their own cards to make the higher ones stronger. I see the Orc's bring more of their weaker units out onto the field like the Undead.

What I really want to see is some options to altering the deck because every time we play there are usually THE WAYS to go. Just some variety, thats all I am asking :)

I'm mostly curious to the additional quests/quest cards and whether or not my favourite factions are getting some nice new core units. :)

Has anyone found the expansion for preorder anywhere? I can't seem to find it, but I thought it was supposed to be released at GenCon, and if that's the case, I would think that retailers would start taking preorders for it.

I truly hope that the box of the expansion will be able to hold all the cards of the original game in a elegant and orderly fashion. The box of Rune Age is what I hate the most about the game. I was about to modify it by adding compartments made of foam core sheets inside, but now I'll wait to see if FFG can save me the work.

When my fellow gamers and me choose to play Rune Age instead of, let's say, Runewars, it is because we don't have a lot of time before us and we want to play a quick, fast game before doing something else. However, having to reorganize the cards every time we want to play is really annoying.

Maerimydra said:

I truly hope that the box of the expansion will be able to hold all the cards of the original game in a elegant and orderly fashion. The box of Rune Age is what I hate the most about the game. I was about to modify it by adding compartments made of foam core sheets inside, but now I'll wait to see if FFG can save me the work.

When my fellow gamers and me choose to play Rune Age instead of, let's say, Runewars, it is because we don't have a lot of time before us and we want to play a quick, fast game before doing something else. However, having to reorganize the cards every time we want to play is really annoying.

I hear you all too well. The artwork for the box is cool and everything, but really I am just looking for a box that fits everything together nicely. I can't stress enough how much of a pain it is to find everything since the cards get messed up all of the time. Sure, I can just use rubber bands, but I think a good box for card games wouldn't force people to go that route. The box for Talisman on the other hand is a wonderful box for all of the cards it has (plus, most of the expansions). Hopefully, FFG will find a better balance between aesthetics and function.

I would expect the box to be much smaller than the original bast on past experience with FFG. Looking at the number of cards, I'd expect it to be the same size box as the delux boxed expansions for the Game of Thrones LCG or the Lord of the Rings LCG. To put it simply: far too small to include both the core set and the expansion.

Check out boardgamegeek.com to see the files available for this game . At the point of this post there's one file there that will help you reorganize your box, but I expect to see a lot more pop up here once "Oath and Anvil" hits the stores.

What I do is pretty simple: I organize the cards by type and separate them in the box by rectangles of card stock so that there is a top edge sticking up that I can label. Because there's still a lot of empty space in the box, I made a spacer out of styrofoam that will prevent the cards from flopping around. As more expansions are released, I can cut the foam as required. The entire project took me about 20 minutes from start to finish and it sure makes life easier.

The blue insulation type styrofoam is very rigid and doesn't crumble. You can usually get scrap cuts for free from a building supply store like Home Depot if you ask one of the staff. I use this foam a LOT in organizing all of my game boxes.

That's just great news !

Now I'm waiting for (PoD) for new solo scenario + neutral cards gran_risa.gif

Style75 said:

I would expect the box to be much smaller than the original bast on past experience with FFG. Looking at the number of cards, I'd expect it to be the same size box as the delux boxed expansions for the Game of Thrones LCG or the Lord of the Rings LCG. To put it simply: far too small to include both the core set and the expansion.

Check out boardgamegeek.com to see the files available for this game . At the point of this post there's one file there that will help you reorganize your box, but I expect to see a lot more pop up here once "Oath and Anvil" hits the stores.

What I do is pretty simple: I organize the cards by type and separate them in the box by rectangles of card stock so that there is a top edge sticking up that I can label. Because there's still a lot of empty space in the box, I made a spacer out of styrofoam that will prevent the cards from flopping around. As more expansions are released, I can cut the foam as required. The entire project took me about 20 minutes from start to finish and it sure makes life easier.

The blue insulation type styrofoam is very rigid and doesn't crumble. You can usually get scrap cuts for free from a building supply store like Home Depot if you ask one of the staff. I use this foam a LOT in organizing all of my game boxes.

That's a good idea with the foam, but really the companies shouldn't force us to have to do this with the boxes. They can come up with a better way I believe that wouldn't cost them that much.