Journey Along the Anduin - Can't Beat it Solo!

By gvaughn1, in Strategy and deck-building

I've played probably 10 times. I've gotten to where I can defeat the Hill Troll MOST of the time, but it requires the use of Gandalf (so there's a bit of luck that's needed).

But then I get to 2B (where I need to pull 2 cards each questing phase) and I just get overwhelmed. I don't have enough fighting power to keep engaging and killing the enemies, but if I leave them in the staging area the threat just builds up too quickly.

Recently, I even lost a game where I pulled TWO Gandalfs and TWO Galadrim's Greetings.

I'm using the following:

• Spirit/Leadership
  • Aragorn/Eowyn/Eleanor (28 threat)
  • FYI, I only have the core deck and the first 3 adventure packs (Bilbo, Frodo, Imrahil are the additional heroes)

Any advice on how to beat this scenario solo?

And until I'm truly desperate, I just want to play one deck. I don't want to play two decks as one player.

Hi there, I was just able to beat this scenario using a deck Boris suggested in my "solo woes" thread here. You can give that a read to see his strategy, it worked for me. I kept my threat low until I had enough allies out to kill the troll in one shot. It took me awhile, maybe 10 turns before I got past 1B, but I did manage to beat it!

I used Dunhere as a hero and he was a champ, constantly attacking guys in the staging area with an Unexpected Courage on him.

I would also recommand Dunhere. He really shines during the second part of the quest where you can't leave all the enemies in the staging area. If you equip him with Dunedain Mark, he can even try to tackle some Troll or Chieftan Ufthak (although it will take a while to get through them).

Thanks guys. :)

I'll take a look at Boris' suggestion on that thread and will also consider using Dunhere. I've used him before in a different deck and he was very handy.

And on a side note: After reading your comment about Unexpected Courage and then consulting the rulebook, I realized I've been playing attachments all wrong. I thought ONLY HEROES refreshed during the refresh phase - not attachments! So all along, I thought Unexpected Courage could only be played ONCE PER GAME and then it became exhausted permanently. I kept thinking: "Boy, this card is way overrated. Why do people like it so much?"

Geez.

You might try Forest Snares until you get a better handle on fighting the Hill Troll. JAtA is definitely not a CL 4!

Most likely the problem is 28 threat is too high to start with.