MAKE CHAINSAW ATTACKS MORE RELIABLE + DEALING WITH LAMBENT WRETCHES

By player22635, in Gears of War: The Board Game

HI I have been toying with making the chainsaw attack more reliable as often this is your last line of defence as ammo disapears - have not considered how yet - but wondered if other have done the same►

Also played Mission 3 now 3 times - twice got down to 4 AI cards left to activate to win the game but just did not quite make it grrrr - anyway one of the problems we have was dealing with the Lambent Wretchesup close - as when you kill them they explode taking inflicting one wound to each GOG in the area (Note GOGS Only - dont like this either) - this makes using the chainsaw less of an option when you are short on cards, I can remember in the game if these wretches expolded when attacked with a chainsaw - can anyone advise►

If they did then suppose it reprisents the game - if not seems harsh as this game is hard enough - but I dont want to change things too much for fear of breaking the game.

So far losing just keeps me wanting to come back for more - so thats good - but it could get to the point of total frustration!!

Garry

Well, I know when you chainsaw a lambent in the video games, you kick them away before they explode. Perhaps you could make a house rule to replicate this:

-If one omen is rolled, the chainsaw attack works as normally indicated

-If two or more omens are rolled, the COG kicks the lambent away, dealing no extra wounds to COG figures

Just a thought :)

Hi not a bad idea - re dealing with lambent, problem is can be difficult to roll the omen in the first place!

As for a chainsaw general attack - I still feel this needs to be more relaiable - either by

1. Increasing the amount of die rolled - perhaps to use all 5 & still giving Marcus an extra roll to = 6.

Or

2. Counting wounds with saves acting as normal unless you roll an omen then auto kill?

I think I prefer 2 but need to try it.

Garry

McRae said:

Well, I know when you chainsaw a lambent in the video games, you kick them away before they explode. Perhaps you could make a house rule to replicate this:

-If one omen is rolled, the chainsaw attack works as normally indicated

-If two or more omens are rolled, the COG kicks the lambent away, dealing no extra wounds to COG figures

Just a thought :)

i just read this and thought the same thing by rolling 2 omens to kick 1 area away affecting that area and change to any in area take 1 wound any thoughts?

rolling a chainsaw omen with 4 dice = 52% chances (61% with marcus... 5 dice)

In the first Gears of War game, when you chainsawed lambent wretches, yes, they exploded, and it was quite bad. It was imperative to kill them before they reached you. Lambent wretches never appeared in Gears of War 2 (or if they did, I don't remember) but considering this boardgame is based off of the first two games, where kicking Lambent enemies away wasn't an option, the boardgame actually has it spot on. Even in Gears of War 3, the only Lambent enemy you can actually kick away when chainsawing is the Drudge. Lambent drones and wretches simply explode nearly immediately after the chainsaw touches them.