Daemon loot

By Adeptus-B, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

When a daemon is killed in combat, its body discorporates (being made of warp matter held togeather by the daemon's willpower). Does the same thing happen to the stuff the daemon is carrying (specifically Bloodletter weapons)? My first impulse is to say 'yes', but the more I think about it the less sure I am. If a daemon is successfully Disarmed, his weapon wouldn't discorporate; he would just pick it back up off the ground. So, if it doesn't disappear when it leaves the daemon's hand, should it disappear when the daemon 'dies'? Or, having no will of its own, is a Bloodletter's weapon bound togeather more 'densely' than the daemon, and not subject to discorporation?

The rules themselves don''t address this- and the likely option is that, upon death, even the Weapon disappears into the Warp as its existence is only motivated by the daemon''s own. Here''s a few ways you can deal with if you''d like- as I am going have my acolytes encounter Blood-letters soon, it was acool question to ask, and I think I am likely going to use 2 & 4, screwing over the players that way :P

1) Bound-weapon: On the one hand, you could say that a Bloodletter is pretty closely tied to his weapon, so not only those hang it around until the latter dies but anyone attempting to use it would likely suffer burns and blood-boils in the process.

2) Its the sword, but how you use it: Once it leaves his hands, or once he dies, he leaves behind a regular, maybe poor-quality bastard''s sword- now no longer infused with daemonic energy.

3) One with the sword: It is virtually impossible to Disarm a blood-letter in the first place :P Should anyone accomplish such a feet, the weapon simply reappears in the Daemon''s hands.

4) One with the sword: Reversed: upon death, a powerful enough bloodletter may instead be bound into his weapon, creating a Daemonic sword, instead of simply vanishing into the warp.

Saldre said:

4) One with the sword: Reversed: upon death, a powerful enough bloodletter may instead be bound into his weapon, creating a Daemonic sword, instead of simply vanishing into the warp.

This should be extremely rare; making a daemon weapon should be a lot harder than just killing a daemon and picking his weapon up.

I did say a powerful enough :P

The bloodletter entry in the lexicanum cite specifically deathwatch: mark of the xenos and the deamon codex 4th edition; mentioning that the blades themselves are possessed by a demon. Given that info I''d assume their binding to the material world are separate from the Bloodletter wielding them but it''s still a pretty nebulous issue (what sustains the weapon after the master is gone►etc►)

I guess Blood for the blood god!►

Several WH40KRP books make references to various body parts of daemons lying around as trophies, though I can't say that I'm too happy about that.

Black Crusade actually has Hellblade in armoury

"The feared Bloodletters, warrior-daemons of
Khorne, wield these powerful Warp-forged
blades. On very rare occasions a mortal has
bested one of these Daemons and claimed this
potent weapon."

so it seems that it somehow stays.

I would think the black crusade one is either the payment from the bargain or a gift from a job well done(?)

It says "bested," so presumably the daemons were beaten in combat and the hellblades taken.

Lame.

Several books in Deathwatch and also the Chaos Commandment refer to daemon corpses lying around after death.

Lame.

When we beat a demon, his staff dropped and was starting to fade too, but our scum, I think, grabbed the staff before it could vanish completely, and we had a daemonstaff…

It makes no sense. A hellblade or daemon staff is not a physical object; it is warp energy temporarily manifested in the Materium, i.e., it is itself a daemon. This is akin to the beam of light from a flashlight hanging around once the flashlight is turned off, so you can pick up the beam of light and whack people with it like a big stick. Moreover, objects from the Warp are inherently unstable and require constant sorcery or carnage to keep going.

Could it be that if a demon is able to possess something(a sword, mace, an urn) or someone(person, aka daemonhost), it can stay in material world as long as it isn't banished?

PnPgamer said:

Could it be that if a demon is able to possess something(a sword, mace, an urn) or someone(person, aka daemonhost), it can stay in material world as long as it isn't banished?

Sure, but hellblades and other such daemon accessories aren't possessed physical objects. They're extrusions of the Warp; essentially, they are parts of the daemon with which they manifested.

bogi_khaosa said:

PnPgamer said:

Sure, but hellblades and other such daemon accessories aren't possessed physical objects. They're extrusions of the Warp; essentially, they are parts of the daemon with which they manifested.

once again:

"Bloodlettters wield Hellblades : Great 2-handed weapons given to them by Khrone,each said to be possessed by an angry daemon."

cited by the lexicanum website which specifically cites the 4th edition codex for daemons and the deathwatch book - Mark of the Xenos

I know it says it, but it makes no sense (note the "said to be," BTW). The Warp isn't a physical place with iron and steel and blacksmiths; you can't forge anything there, except in a metaphorical sense.

We also have references to daemon bodies lying around after death, which also makes no sense.

bogi_khaosa said:

It says "bested," so presumably the daemons were beaten in combat and the hellblades taken.

Lame.

Several books in Deathwatch and also the Chaos Commandment refer to daemon corpses lying around after death.

Lame.

In your opinion why is this lame?

bogi_khaosa said:

I know it says it, but it makes no sense (note the "said to be," BTW). The Warp isn't a physical place with iron and steel and blacksmiths; you can't forge anything there, except in a metaphorical sense.

We also have references to daemon bodies lying around after death, which also makes no sense.

Why doesn't it make sense, why can't the warp be both a physical place and non-physical place? why can't a sword be forge in the warp?

Phi6891 said:

Why doesn't it make sense, why can't the warp be both a physical place and non-physical place? why can't a sword be forge in the warp?

Because it's described as not being a physical place. It's a maelstrom of psychic energy. Hence the term "immaterium."

bogi_khaosa said:

Phi6891 said:

Phi6891 said:

bogi_khaosa said:

Because it's described as not being a physical place. It's a maelstrom of psychic energy. Hence the term "immaterium."

So why would they need need a forges, blacksmiths, or iron to make a sword? Why couldn't a Deamon just reach his hand into the warp and pull out what his needs/desires? I would imagine that the warp is a different plane of existance and it has it's own rules of how things work, such as all you have to do is think about something and you have it there in front of you etc.. Your thinking that for us to make a sword we need someone skilled with the knowledge of metal working, the iron as the material for the sword, and the tools to make the sword. See for a deamon my just have to think of the weapon to have it.