Looking for tips on running demos

By Mecha-Gojira, in Dust Warfare

So I have a premium original core set, a regular revised core set, some zombies, the axis hero pack with the zombie heros, and the grim reapers

Which platoons should I take to best show the awesomeness that is dw?

i have yet to see the warfare book and i only know about what is posted on the forums or official page. from my experiene of Dust Tactics though i would suggest the revised core set. the reason being is the original core set relies heavily on vehicle deployment and tactics which make the infantry not as useful. i've played games where it is the first one to loose a tank is 9 out of 10 times is the one to loose the game. with the light vehicle and the emphasis on infantry use, the revised set is best for demos.

also you do have other models and may wish to subsitute, just compare point values if you want but in general i wouldnt let the game have a large point value, just enough to get them knowledgeable without overwhelming them

Thanks that makes alot of sense.

Not to mention, you can also say "and all these figures we're using come in the starter."

Yeah just run the Blutkreuz plt you have the stuff for the cmd section, 1st and 2 section, and the Hans for support and Lara as a separate hero 140 AP. You have zombies for the platoons special rule so it should play out fine. For the Allies it's the Assault platoon 1st and 2nd sections use the Grim Reapers instead of Death Dealers, Blackhawk as support and Rhino as a lone hero add additional resources to help with the special order and they are at 140 AP. Gives you equal forces and your playing mainly with stuff from the revised core set, also let's you show how a hero works, command squad, Armor 2 and 3 and vehicles.

My experience in running demos is that you just want to give them a taste of the game so you want a small platoon like a command group plus 1 section and put one walker in. Then put them on a small demo table say a 2ft x 2 ft square with some cool looking terrain on it but don't block the line of sight if you can. For setup put all the models within 15" of each other. You want action within the first dice roll. Put out some of your other models on display along with a product box or rule book. The goal of this is so that you can do the demo within 15min and then talk about the game afterwards. You should be prepared to get the demo players rolling dice within 2min. That way you keep their interest and they stay focus on what the game is about and why it's cool instead of "how to win". It doesn't even matter if they finish the game you just want them to roll dice and have fun. I even highly recommend moving your walker out so that it gets shot to pieces and they get a big "Wow!" out of it. Keep in mind the competition for this kind of game is not other wargames, the competition is video games. So you have to keep the game moving and entertain them. Once the 15min is up start talking about the game and what they think about it. Ask them what faction they think would be their favorite and really that faction up on how cool they are. And if no one else is in line for a demo then of course finish the game or give it a another go with them. If they bring up any other games DO NOT bad mouth them. Talk up Dust Warfare and if they insist on talking about another game or caomparing it to dust then try a segway of talking about something for the dust line.Let them bury themselves in negativity. In retail you want to be positive because positive feelings make friends, sales, and good game experiences. That's my reciepe for doing demos and growing a community.

Harliquine said:

My experience in running demos is that you just want to give them a taste of the game so you want a small platoon like a command group plus 1 section and put one walker in. Then put them on a small demo table say a 2ft x 2 ft square with some cool looking terrain on it but don't block the line of sight if you can. For setup put all the models within 15" of each other. You want action within the first dice roll. Put out some of your other models on display along with a product box or rule book. The goal of this is so that you can do the demo within 15min and then talk about the game afterwards. You should be prepared to get the demo players rolling dice within 2min. That way you keep their interest and they stay focus on what the game is about and why it's cool instead of "how to win". It doesn't even matter if they finish the game you just want them to roll dice and have fun. I even highly recommend moving your walker out so that it gets shot to pieces and they get a big "Wow!" out of it. Keep in mind the competition for this kind of game is not other wargames, the competition is video games. So you have to keep the game moving and entertain them. Once the 15min is up start talking about the game and what they think about it. Ask them what faction they think would be their favorite and really that faction up on how cool they are. And if no one else is in line for a demo then of course finish the game or give it a another go with them. If they bring up any other games DO NOT bad mouth them. Talk up Dust Warfare and if they insist on talking about another game or caomparing it to dust then try a segway of talking about something for the dust line.Let them bury themselves in negativity. In retail you want to be positive because positive feelings make friends, sales, and good game experiences. That's my reciepe for doing demos and growing a community.

Very solid advice!

I agree I am planning on following it and practicing the demo at home until I have everything down.

After my first try to night I know I'm not quite ready.

cool.gif

You could try a super simple format like Flames of War does, your first demo is with tanks(walkers) one or two per side and if you like it your next demo is Infantry VS Infantry ( Gorillas VS British Paras would look cool and be easy) you then have one infantry and one walker team per side and have players test drive what they just learned by them selfs mostly with some guidence by you in the form of looking up any rules ! keep it simple and fun any in depth details they need would require them to actully buy into the game so at this point you just need to show them the basics of the game turn that alone should sell this game as its pretty awesome

I think the Revised Core Starter is the best option. It gives each player a feel for Heroes, Units and Walkers. And is a good selling point that it all comes in one box.