Rules?

By ColtsFan76, in Android

As much as I trust FFG to put out a quclity game, I still prefer to read the rules myself and see if this is truly a game I want. It would be a good addition to my Christmas Wishlist but I have to give my in-laws time to buy.

Any chance the rules can be posted soon?

Not sure if an "I second that" will help but I am in the same boat. I have to provide my list to the in-laws ASAP. The marketing of this title is neat but the x-mas crunch might not be the best time to do this.

A rules post or at least a detailed summary would be nice,but given FFG's

history on releases dates its rather doubtful if Santa is going to have this puppy in his sack.

OD

Old Dwarf said:

A rules post or at least a detailed summary would be nice,but given FFG's

history on releases dates its rather doubtful if Santa is going to have this puppy in his sack.

OD

It is already for sale here. Distributors are saying they will have it the 1st or 2nd week of December. This breaks the typical FFG mold in that they fully designed it and kept it under wraps until it was ready to be released.

Apparenlty, they got DOW's business model when the purchased BattleLore. lengua.gif

What is DOWs buisness model? I never saw/thought anything special about it.

A rulebook at some point would be nice. But I'd really want to read at least a rundown of the game mechanics and such before considering making a purchase. It is nice to know that it's already out there to be bought though. No agonizing waits if it does turn out to be something special that way lengua.gif .

Indeed. I don't buy FFG games until I have read the rulebook (I'm spoiled). If the rulebook doesn't come out before Christmas, I won't be buying it.

Although, even if it does, there are a couple other FFG games on my wishlist, so I may not get it anyway. happy.gif

Perhaps this is ignorance on my part in the information age, but I think I'm going to go with the flow of the marketing campaign and try to minimize my exposure to this game until after I've unwrapped the plastic by avoiding discussions of the rules and component descriptions. I don't know, I think it'll be fun that way, kinda like when I was a kid and I got to explore a new toy at Christmas. It was all new to me then and I miss that feeling.

As a rule of thumb I like to be able to read the rules for a game before deciding to purchase. As a boardgame addict I don't need any more games I don't wan't to play after the first try. This title seems really promising so why hesitate to publish the rules if the game is already in the printer?

The rules will be posted before the game arrives at stores, as we always do, so don't panic.

Who was panicking? happy.gif

If the rules weren't out before the game hit stores, it would have been FFG's loss more than mine. gui%C3%B1o.gif

bfkiller said:

Perhaps this is ignorance on my part in the information age, but I think I'm going to go with the flow of the marketing campaign and try to minimize my exposure to this game until after I've unwrapped the plastic by avoiding discussions of the rules and component descriptions. I don't know, I think it'll be fun that way, kinda like when I was a kid and I got to explore a new toy at Christmas. It was all new to me then and I miss that feeling.

I can sympathize with this point of view. I like exploring an all new game myself. However, games are expensive enough that I don't want to risk spending money on a loser (not that FFG has many of those).

Joram said:

I can sympathize with this point of view. I like exploring an all new game myself. However, games are expensive enough that I don't want to risk spending money on a loser (not that FFG has many of those).

Normally I'd agree, but I figure since I'll be likely be receiving it as a Christmas present (it's now at the top of the wishlist I gave my girlfriend) rather than purchasing it myself, I won't have any buyer's remorse. It'll also give the gift more of a special feeling if I don't already know everything about it inside-and-out.

Besides, in Kevin Wilson I Trust.

bfkiller said:

Well, if I was likely going to get it anyway, then I would probably do as you are doing.

On the subject of Kevin Wilson, I think that the only game I've played of his was Descent . Can't think of any others off the top of my head (but I may just not be remembering designers correctly).

Sad thing is that I highly doubt that it will be in my city's shops by the end of December. I hate being Italian... :-(

grim_reaper_zig said:

bfkiller said:

QFT Kevin wilson hasn't failed me yet and i doubt he ever will!

I wouldn't trust this guy. His profile claims he already owns Android - but how can this be if it's not out? I smell something fishy! And it's not geki! :P

This Game cost a fair amount of change so although I like to

be suprised I do need to see what i'm getting..

OD

I've played Kevin Wilson's Doom. Loved it and anxious to see what he has in his sleeves for Android.

Although I already have Battlestar Galactica in my list of purchases. I might have to wait this one out...

I use to read rules religiously when they came out, but now I don't unless I'm on the fence.

I found after reading the rules and knowing exactly what you are getting kind of made the purchase and opening of the box anticlimactic.

So no I don't, especially if it's for an expansion that I know I'm going to buy anyway. Makes opening the box much more fun. I've liked Kevin's designs in the past enough to go into this blindly.

Joram said:

On the subject of Kevin Wilson, I think that the only game I've played of his was Descent . Can't think of any others off the top of my head (but I may just not be remembering designers correctly).

You haven't played Arkham Horror yet? There's also the upcoming FFG version of Cosmic Encounter. Both great games!

I've got this game in my library of games, because sight unseen I will buy this game. It had the two things that would guarantee my purchase -- Kevin Wilson and Cyberpunk. I already love this game, and all I know about it is what was in the trailer.

When are we going to get Android avatars? I'd rather have a cyberpunk character than a Cthulhu character (and I picked that over one of the A Game of Thrones images, and I am a GoT ubergeek).

JerusalemJones said:

I've got this game in my library of games, because sight unseen I will buy this game. It had the two things that would guarantee my purchase -- Kevin Wilson and Cyberpunk. I already love this game, and all I know about it is what was in the trailer.

I hear that. I'm all over the idea of a decent cyberpunk game.

And I'd love to see some rules for this too. I'm incredibly intruiged to see how it'll work. It's on my 'watch list'.

Mr Skeletor said:

I use to read rules religiously when they came out, but now I don't unless I'm on the fence.

I found after reading the rules and knowing exactly what you are getting kind of made the purchase and opening of the box anticlimactic.

So no I don't, especially if it's for an expansion that I know I'm going to buy anyway. Makes opening the box much more fun. I've liked Kevin's designs in the past enough to go into this blindly.

I find that reading the rules leaves me wondering exactly how those rules could be implemented in relation to the components that are contained in the box. FFG games especially are very card-heavy, and most of the bulk of how the game plays is contained on those cards rather than in the rulebook.

Bleached Lizard said:

Mr Skeletor said:

I find that reading the rules leaves me wondering exactly how those rules could be implemented in relation to the components that are contained in the box. FFG games especially are very card-heavy, and most of the bulk of how the game plays is contained on those cards rather than in the rulebook.

True. However, some things can be told from the rules. For instance, it didn't take a knowledge of the cards to tell me that Battlestar Galactica had an excellent traitor mechanic that beat Shadows Over Camelot hollow. So the rules still do help to a limited extent.

Joram said:

Bleached Lizard said:

Mr Skeletor said:

True. However, some things can be told from the rules. For instance, it didn't take a knowledge of the cards to tell me that Battlestar Galactica had an excellent traitor mechanic that beat Shadows Over Camelot hollow. So the rules still do help to a limited extent.

Does 'inside knowledge' of that take away from opening your own copy of the game though?

Certainly doesn't in my camp.