China Shop

By McRae, in Gears of War: The Board Game

Does anybody have any advice for beating China Shop? It has by far been the hardest mission for me and my friends. I beat it in two player mode, but have yet to win in three player mode. Help!

I'm in the same boat. Any tips from players who beat this one would be interesting to hear happy.gif

Hi Not sureif this will help - It took 7! attempts for us to beat this mission - Tried 2 and 3 player - in the end it was marcus and baird who won the day in a 2 player game.

We managed to collect both lots of ammo + picked up hammer burst guns each and an extra grenade so we had 4 - we saved the grenades until the 2nd level - we then sealed the hole near to the level 3 entrance + if you can have grenades for the final room and take out the nearest wretchs and if lucky seal that hole too.

Try to conserve your ammo until later use normal attacks on weak targets.

We also found it useful to leave 1 wretch and 1 drone alive if poss but far back on map 2 as this prevents others from spawning giving you time to deal with the wretches in the final room who tend to swamp you, stay together if you can in case one of you ends up bleeding out.

Use follow cards to get down the map into a good position.

once your in the final stages then use overkill to stop the lucust attacks thus buying time to get the hamer then attack the berserker - the rest is in the hands of lady luck - I know everything as laid out above falling into place is a tough call - but its a tough mission - now I can move onto mission 3 at last!!!

Garry

I'll try some of these tips, thanks for sharing your experience. I do have trouble saving ammo in this game though, I tend to be unable to hurt anything in this game only throwing 1 or two dice with a standard attack. A case of bad luck perhaps.

Hi Not sure if this will help - It took 7! attempts for us to beat this mission - Tried 2 and 3 player - in the end it was Marcus and Baird who won the day in a 2 player game.

We managed to collect both lots of ammo + picked up hammer burst guns each and an extra grenade so we had 4 - we saved the grenades until the 2nd level - we then sealed the hole near to the level 3 entrance + if you can have grenades for the final room and take out the nearest wretches and if lucky seal that hole too.
Try to conserve your ammo until later use normal attacks on weak targets.
We also found it useful to leave 1 wretch and 1 drone alive if poss but far back on map 2 as this prevents others from spawning giving you time to deal with the wretches in the final room who tend to swamp you, stay together if you can in case one of you ends up bleeding out.
Use follow cards to get down the map into a good position.
once your in the final stages then use overkill to stop the locust attacks thus buying time to get the hammer then attack the berserker - the rest is in the hands of lady luck - I know everything as laid out above falling into place is a tough call - but its a tough mission - now I can move onto mission 3 at last!!!

Garry

oops sorry posted my original reply again.

Yes the temptation to use overkill is great, but we found you can risk sticking to normal attacks for wretches and drones especially if not in cover, as they both only get 1 defence die, wretches only have 2 wounds and drones 3 - but any unsaved hit will resort in knocking this down to 1 wound, then 1 more hit will kill - obviously this tends to be at range rather than close up.

The above works betst at range if you can get hold of a hammer burst due to its Omen ability adding extra wounds - if the enemy is in the same space and if i have dodge cards I try to use my chainsaw for a guard attack - if this fails i always have the dodge to fall back on - this can be a risk as you will end using 2 cards but at least you save ammo for that critical overkill when you need it.

Re chainsaw i know this can be hit and miss - i personally feel this attack should be more reliable especially considering the limited ammo pick ups - but so far i have not amended anything regarding the chainsaw attack.

By way playing either mission 3 or 4 tonight 2 player, one character will most likely will be Baird - as consider his abilities probably the best in the team.
Garry

This is my reply from Boardgame Geek. happy.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My friends and I finially beat china shop with 3 players.
The way we did it was just run for the exit as fast as we can.
While running for the exit we will attack any locusts that was in the way. Once we got to the exit, we just wait for them to come to us.

Note if any cog bleed out while getting to the exit, leave them there.
Unless it is safe and no locusts is around. Just get to the exit as fast as possible and just let the bleeder crawl to you.

See if this help. We haven't play china shop again so not to sure if we're just lucky

PS. Roadie Run is your best friend for this mission

Good luck

Hope this helps happy.gif

After Several tries, trying the above tactic finally worked four our group! What a game that was, it was exciting till the last moment. Two out of three COGS down, and the last one, with only one wound remaining finishing off the berserker with the shotgun. This game is great!