Harvesting coins

By Daneelck, in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

The groupd I'm playing with has a disagreement about coins on the map. Can someone definitively answer two questions:

1. Can a city or scout harvest a coin on the map? As in add coin every turn during city management if harvesting.

2. Is there a section of the rules that spell this out or an official ruling somewhere I can reference to support the answer to #1?

Thanks

1- yes

2- last sentence before the picture on page 26 under scout gathering. The city benefits from all trade, production and other icons for the rest of your turn.

1- yes

2- last sentence before the picture on page 26 under scout gathering. The city benefits from all trade, production and other icons for the rest of your turn.

I'm afraid that Ringarin is wrong on this one.

1 - No you cannot harvest coins. This is due to the fact that the HARVEST city action only allows you to get one RESOURCE (wheat, incense, silk or iron) available to the city. Coins are not considered to be resources. You simply have one more coin on your civ sheet dial as long as you have a scout standing on it or a city whith it in its outskirts. If, for whatever reason, the scout moves away (for example if you need something else more or it is killed) from the printed coin or the city is destroyed, your coin count immediatley goes down by one.

2 - See "Map Tile and Icon Breakdown" on page 7 of the base rulebook for a list of what is considered resources and what is not. Also see "Coins on the Map", bottom left of page 26.

Thanks, I have been looking for this answer! We just had a dispute about this very rule last time we played. If I am reading this right, a coin only counts once. It cannot be continuously harvested like a resource. How the heck do people get easy economic victories?

So, to expand on this question.

In the Fame and Fortune expansion, you can invest coins. Those coins do not count towards an economic victory. So, the question is: If a player has a scout on a coin, then uses that coin to invest, is that coin gone forever then?

Darkeus said:

If a player has a scout on a coin, then uses that coin to invest, is that coin gone forever then?

* square belongs to your city if it lays on the outskirt of the city or if your scout stays on that square and you decided during Start of Turn phase to send the square to your certain city.