Getting owned and loving it.

By Rook96, in Death Angel

Just played a solo game of Death Angel. Was doing really well, made it through a teleport with no casualties and still had 4 of my 6 marines going into the final area. But the final area was Genestealer Lair, which put a Brood Lord on an impossibly large swarm. The previous location did not have a door so I could not drop their numbers during travel, then I lost my big damage dealers. The result? The Broodlord spent one turn after another snacking on my Terminators.

I must have a thing for games that knock your teeth out. :)

Still getting owned, but in a good way. Tried the Tyranid and Death Wing expansions. The Tyranid abilities did not get too many opportunities to play due to great dice rolling, but I can definitely see how the Rippers and Raveners can complicate the game. But the Hive Tyrant mission was hard, I did not shut down the spore chimney early and really paid for it. I managed to score 3 support tokens on the Hive Tyrant, but I lost my psyker and that was it.

Regarding the Death Wing, I feel that they really shine when there are lots of players and not so much in solo mode. This is because they are really dependant on support tokens and it can be hard to fit in a lot of support actions when you are trying to keep fanged baddy numbers down. But there is an opportunity for some complex plays with them, where in contrast the Blood Angel teams are more brute force than intricate planning.

To sum up the above, the only thing badder than 6 Terminators is 60 Tyranids!

Maybe the fact that you don't see the intricate planning you need for the Blood Angels is the reason why you're getting owned...

There's a lot to consider if you want to start winning more regularly. There's a guy who posted a great guide on BGG. Take a look at it if you wanna learn more about the tactics in Death Angel.

Thanks . . . I think?

Well, it was just supposed to be a little piece of advice. If it sounded offensive rest assured that it wasn't meant to.

While there a some things in the guide which are obvious, it says a lot about best positioning and helps you in valueing the marines in your squad so that you know which are more and wich are less expendable when it comes down to it.

Have a look and let me know afterwards if it helped to improve your game.

Apologies for coming off the wrong way, was rushed and on my way to work when I posted. The funny thing is, you are right and usually the truth hurts! sorpresa.gif

I will check out the posts you mentioned and will post after my next game. Thanks for taking the time to share and respond.

Cheers!

I also got destroyed the first time I played this because I was playing it wrong. I was attacking with each genestealer, not just the swarm. I was also counting each one on the table as the swarm for the dice roll, which got out of hand really quick. I never even made it out of the void lock. I read the article on BGG and also watched a demo on youtube because I learn better by seeing the game played. My second game went better, I still lost but I made it to the last location with only 2 space marines left. I've never played the actual tabletop game, but I love the video games from WH40K and this card game is awesome.

Attacked by every Genestealer, ouch? I have played other times and completed the final mission, but never when the Broodlords are involved. They just wipe the floor with my marines and often come into play on large swarms. The other thing that I usually pay for is "do-or-die" abilities where the marine can die on a bad attack roll of his own. My luck never holds for these attacks.

When Broodlords are coming up you've got to make sure that you have the right marines in place.

You need Marines capable of Blocking. That would be Sgt. Lorenzo, Gideon or yellow team. They've got the best chance to make a stand against the broodlords.

Then you need Marines capable of dealing a lot of damage. That would be Sgt. Lorenzo again, Librarian Calistarios or Zael. They can deal enough damage when they've got enough support tokens to really make the difference.

Of course it's not easy but it can be done.

Best of luck, brothers!