Help with Blast weapon

By insiverism, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hey so I've looked around on the forum and haven't found much on the item and we who are currently playing the game think we are using the item right but at the same time are not sure.

okay so that's a example scenario sorry if it's not perfect :P
so how we are using it is I think how the book explains but simply put is...

-the item the hero has is the bronze blast card ( it has 1 blast and two surges = 1 blast )
-hero selects space he is attacking and determines range. (range needed is 4)
-Hero then rolls the dice and has the range plus 2 surges ( 2 on dice and 2 from hero ( his hero has the 2 free surges ability ))

1. so does that mean the hero has blast rank 3?
2. does the first blast start at zero (indicated by picture)
3. does the blast one automatically do damage to adjacent squares around the spot you attack thus any added blast go to the next adjacent squares etc.
4. and can you call normal attacks with blast not using the aoe
5. lastly does the play always have to use all surges or can he just not use them, in blasts case I only want to do 2 ranks of blast but I have enough surges to go for 3 ranks

and is this how blast works, the way explained in the book didn't make much sense to use so I kind of make a diagram...
on the picture the hero targeted the space marked 0, and with the above scenario is this how it works. so with 3 blast does it extend all the way to the number 2 radius or does it go past that because zero isn't indicated as 1

http://i.imgur.com/ftLoG.jpg

That is probably really confusing, but that's how I see it. simply if you don't understand what I am saying could you please explain it in a much simpler form so that I can further understand it. diagrams help allot thanks a bunch!!

insiverism said:

Hey so I've looked around on the forum and haven't found much on the item and we who are currently playing the game think we are using the item right but at the same time are not sure.

okay so that's a example scenario sorry if it's not perfect :P
so how we are using it is I think how the book explains but simply put is...

-the item the hero has is the bronze blast card ( it has 1 blast and two surges = 1 blast )

Hello,

the Copper Treasure you're talking about is Bane and it has only two surges=Blast 1; let's say you were referring to a Silver Treasure (Ice Storm) with Blast 1 and two surges = Blast 1.

insiverism said:

-hero selects space he is attacking and determines range. (range needed is 4)
-Hero then rolls the dice and has the range plus 2 surges ( 2 on dice and 2 from hero ( his hero has the 2 free surges ability ))

1. so does that mean the hero has blast rank 3?

With Ice Storm he will have Blast 3, with Bane Blast 2 (surges generated by dice and hero ability grant 2 extra ranks of Blast).

insiverism said:

2. does the first blast start at zero (indicated by picture)

No, the space indicated as 0 in your picture is the space where you've declared the attack. Remember that every attack must target a space, including Melee attacks. This is usually not interesting for standard attacks, but for AoW (Area of Effect) attacks it matters a lot. You may target an empty space with an attack and damage figures thanks to Blast ability. Let's go on.

insiverism said:

3. does the blast one automatically do damage to adjacent squares around the spot you attack thus any added blast go to the next adjacent squares etc.

Blast damages all squares adjacent to target square AND the target square. With Blast:1, the 8 adjacent spaces are targeted (indicated with 1 in your picture); with Blast:2, all adjacent spaces in a Blast:1 Area of Effect are targeted as well (indicated with 2 in your picture). Blast:3 goes even further.

insiverism said:

4. and can you call normal attacks with blast not using the aoe

Sure. Blast is optional and the same goes for Breath and Bolt (all AoE attacks). You can make a normal magic attack and not use the weapon Blast properties, even if the Weapon has an automatic Blast rank.

insiverism said:

5. lastly does the play always have to use all surges or can he just not use them, in blasts case I only want to do 2 ranks of blast but I have enough surges to go for 3 ranks

A Hero can spend surges or not, as he wishes. When you've a big Blast potential, you may want to contain the AoE and avoid hitting yourself or your companions. Remember that Black Power Dice are always optional (you may roll them all or some of them) and that the power enhancements (1 range/1 damage) can be used as you feel right. If you don't need extra damage, use them for range even if you already have enough.

I hope all this helps you understand how Blast works. Happy gaming!