Innsmouth's Finest

By AUCodeMonkey, in Call of Cthulhu Deck Construction

This has been my wife's deck of choice for quite a while now:

javascript:void(0);/*1332691780129*/

It's essentially a Deep Ones deck ripe with destruction, cost reduction, and Mother Hydra in the event of Armageddon... I mean, uh, a Dimensional Rift. As usual, we're open to all critiques and comments happy.gif

i'm thinking your deck is cool with a deep one theme, but it has lot of weaks points against a competitive deck!

To play kopesh you need more characters with thougness like

Innsmouth Troublemaker
[Cthulhu] Core Set F47 / Illustrateur : Matt Dixon
[Character] - Servitor.
Coût : 1 / Skill : 1 / Icones :
Descriptif : Toughness +1.

Guardian Shoggoth
[Cthulhu] Core Set F44 / Illustrateur : Lars Simkins
[Character] - Monster.
Coût : 3 / Skill : 2 / Icones : TC
Descriptif : Toughness +2.

or else, if you absolutly need deep one :

Silent Mover
[Cthulhu] Never Night F71 / Illustrateur : Joe Slucher
[Character] - Deep One.
Coût : 4 / Skill : 3 / Icones : CCA
Descriptif : Fast. Toughness +1. Action: Pay 1 to ready The Silent Mover.

Backwater Deep One
[Cthulhu] Whispers in the Dark F3 / Illustrateur : Dimitri Bielak
[Character] - Deep One.
Coût : 3 / Skill : 2 / Icones : CCA
Descriptif : Toughness +1.

You need to take care of rush and investigation character

A Single Path
[Cthulhu] The Horror Beneath the Surface F30 / Illustrateur : Rom
[Event] -
Coût : 1
Descriptif : Play during the story phase before any characters are committed to stories. Action: Each player can only commit characters to a single story this phase.

You need to take care of opponent ancient one, like y'golonac because they have strong ability and invulnerability

Called by Azathoth
[Cthulhu] The Spawn of the Sleeper F9 / Illustrateur : Ian Kirkpatrick
[support] - Attachment. Curse.
Coût : 1
Descriptif : Attach to a character. Treat attached character as if its printed text box were blank.

-- Cthulhu --
Bloodthirsty Star Spawn
-----------------------
Type : Character
Coût : 4
Skill : 3
Icones : TCCA
Sous-type : Servitor.
Descriptif : Disrupt: After you win a C struggle at a story to which Bloodthirsty Star Spawn is committed, instead of wounding a character, the opponent must choose and destroy one of his characters committed to that story card.

Some idea to improve the deck

Use an invulnerable character :

-- Cthulhu --
•Carl Stanford, Deathless Fanatic
---------------------------------
Type : Character
Coût : 3
Skill : 3
Icones : TA
Sous-type : Sorcerer.
Descriptif : Invulnerability. Action: Sacrifice a Cultist character or Mask card to have Carl Stanford gain CCAA until the end of the phase.
Flavor text:
Illustrateur : Sylvain Vialla
Info Collectionneur : Secrets of Arkham F28

It will be great to add some usefull cultist to make synergy with carl, but it's not necessary because he's cheaper, good skill and icon + invulnerable !

So, depend your "mana" curve, if you have lot of high cost characters, you need cost 0 / 1 cards (characters and events).

Brood of Yig
[Cthulhu] Whispers in the Dark F4 / Illustrateur : Hector Ortiz
[Character] - Serpent. Cultist.
Coût : 2 / Skill : 2 / Icones : TT
Descriptif : Action: Pay 1 to change one of Brood of Yig's T icons into C until the end of the phase.

Degenerate Serpent Cultist
[Cthulhu] The Wailer Below F63 / Illustrateur : Mike Nash
[Character] - Serpent. Cultist.
Coût : 1 / Skill : 2 / Icones : T
Descriptif : Action: Pay 1 to change one of Degenerate Serpent Cultist's T icons into A until the end of the phase.

AUCodeMonkey said:

This has been my wife's deck of choice for quite a while now:

javascript:void(0);/*1332691780129*/

It's essentially a Deep Ones deck ripe with destruction, cost reduction, and Mother Hydra in the event of Armageddon... I mean, uh, a Dimensional Rift. As usual, we're open to all critiques and comments happy.gif

Ok... one question. This is the deck that has trouble with initiate of haung hun that is in the other deck you posted?

If yes, I have a second question. ;)

Why does she have trouble with Initiate of Huang Hun (other than when she doesn't draw a fanatic of course)?

Yes sir, this is the deck in question. She mostly has trouble with the Initiate of Huang Hun because she seems to not draw Fanatics when I draw Initiates. It's a vicious cycle lengua.gif That's mostly the issue, and she was already irritated with the changes I'd made to my deck (- Young Initiates, Protector of the Secrets, and a few others, + Master of the Myths, Dirk Sharpe, Initiate of Huang Hun, Forcing the Truth) and the Initiate happened to take the brunt of her ire.

As a side note, I thought about adding Rich Widows back into that deck, even if the wording has changed dramatically since last time I had them in there. Something tells me you would approve. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Magnus Arcanis said:

Ok... one question. This is the deck that has trouble with initiate of haung hun that is in the other deck you posted?

Why does she have trouble with Initiate of Huang Hun (other than when she doesn't draw a fanatic of course)?

To answer Kriss's comments, we'd thought about adding a Terror of the Tides in there for more to get more use for the Khopesh (amongst other things), but don't really know what would be the least valuable thing in the deck to remove...

AUCodeMonkey said:

Yes sir, this is the deck in question. She mostly has trouble with the Initiate of Huang Hun because she seems to not draw Fanatics when I draw Initiates. It's a vicious cycle lengua.gif That's mostly the issue, and she was already irritated with the changes I'd made to my deck (- Young Initiates, Protector of the Secrets, and a few others, + Master of the Myths, Dirk Sharpe, Initiate of Huang Hun, Forcing the Truth) and the Initiate happened to take the brunt of her ire.

As a side note, I thought about adding Rich Widows back into that deck, even if the wording has changed dramatically since last time I had them in there. Something tells me you would approve. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Magnus Arcanis said:

To answer Kriss's comments, we'd thought about adding a Terror of the Tides in there for more to get more use for the Khopesh (amongst other things), but don't really know what would be the least valuable thing in the deck to remove...

Ah ok. Glad that was the case then. Cause your ST/Syn has like.. no way to deal with a Fanatic, which consquently, is one suggestion i have for your deck. ;)

As for the terror of the tides, thats probably one of my best suggestions for this deck as would give the ST/Syn deck fits. I would replace Feeding Frenzy. They aren't played too diferently and you'll get a lot more mileage out of the TotT.

Does she get a lot of use out of Mature Deep One? If no, I would switch that out to Backwater Deep One.

WIth so many high cost characters I will shamelessly suggest, The Mage Known as Magnus. With ST reflling the hand you should (almost) always have a decent discard option. To fit me in I'd suggest taking out 1 Hydra, and MAYBE a Devil's Reef (only because it is unique).

Shameless plug indeed gui%C3%B1o.gif Now, are these critiques for combating just my deck? Or are these general purpose critiques? I assume the latter, but just wanted to make sure.

AUCodeMonkey said:

Shameless plug indeed gui%C3%B1o.gif Now, are these critiques for combating just my deck? Or are these general purpose critiques? I assume the latter, but just wanted to make sure.

Yes to both.

I approached from just the match-up, but kept general purpose as the priority.

Hi guys. Ever since I saw the movie 'DAGON' when I was a kid I've been an Innsmouth fan. My first deck (that I made tonight - new to the game, not the genre) is definately an Innsmouth one. A 'Pure' Cthulhu deck with 6 neutrals. It's waaaaaaay different though. Would love to explain but I'm taking it to the Australian Championships on June 3rd but will definately let you know how I go and post the list after that. Wish my scaly one's the best!!

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss it; unfortunately Jennifer and I aren't going to be able to make it to a regional tournament this year sad.gif

Dunno if I should. She'll kick your arse with it. HAHAHAHA. Like I said I'm new here so not sure how to PM but I might give it a go (looks around paranoically and grips first ever deck to chest). I actually only made it about 6 hours ago. its 7am here in Australia and I havent slept yet. Do you only play against each other?? I've also posted a few combos I found in the past coupla days too if you're interested.

Can't find out how to PM. But if you've got an email I could send it to you. With a vow to never mention it, use it or even talk about it in your sleep till the tournament is done! HAHAHAHAHAHA