"House Icons"? [newish player]

By Bran Finn, in A Game of Thrones LCG

Hi. It's probably just me, and I'm missing something, but… As I've been learning the game and introducing it to my friends, what was really confusing to me were what I'm calling the "House Icons." I only see them set out in the section "House Specific Keywords," and that doesn't specify which House each keyword and icon go with. Nor do I see anything specifying that, when a "House Icon" appears in Rules Text, it means that text applies to cards with the "matching" House Shield.

Assuming my assumptions are correct, it might be nice to have a chart, or something, in the "Rules Clarification, FAQ, and Errata" document that lays out House = Shield = Icon, and stating that when the Icon appears it applies to cards with the matching Shield.

Thank you.

Bran Finn said:

Hi. It's probably just me, and I'm missing something, but… As I've been learning the game and introducing it to my friends, what was really confusing to me were what I'm calling the "House Icons." I only see them set out in the section "House Specific Keywords," and that doesn't specify which House each keyword and icon go with. Nor do I see anything specifying that, when a "House Icon" appears in Rules Text, it means that text applies to cards with the "matching" House Shield.

Assuming my assumptions are correct, it might be nice to have a chart, or something, in the "Rules Clarification, FAQ, and Errata" document that lays out House = Shield = Icon, and stating that when the Icon appears it applies to cards with the matching Shield.

Thank you.

Not quite sure what your confusion is about -- are you having difficulty recognizing the icons?

On page 21 of the Rules (House Specific Keywords), the symbols are as follows:

Ambush (Dragon - Targaryen)

Infamy (Lion - Lannister)

Intimidate (Kraken - Greyjoy)

Stalwart (Wolf - Stark)

Vengeful (Sun & Spear - Martell)

Vigilant (Stag - Baratheon)

By and large, house specific keywords are only found on cards from those houses (if there are exceptions, I'm not aware of them).

These house symbols, however, are used quite a bit on various cards. Look closely, and you'll see the dragon's head breathing fire, the lion's mane, the antlers on the stag, etc.

It's just that it was confusing/difficult for me to realize that those icons matched houses, which houses they matched, and that the icon in the text referred to cards with a particular house's shield. So, I guess, my question was - is that laid out somewhere (where?) and I just missed it...and, if it isn't, to mention that it confused me and to suggest putting in the "Clarifications" document (on the [possibly incorrect] assumption that, if it confused me and my friends, it might confuse others).

Thank you. *smile*

Way Cool! It would have been great if I'd had that when I was first trying to figure out how to play the game, and it'll still be very helpful for my friends who haven't played much (if at all) yet.

Thank You Much! *Big Smile*

Just to make sure I understand the concept of house specific keywords - In order for a character to gain the benefit of a house specific keyword, they need to have the actual word printed on their cards, however cards that affect character with a given keywords may refer to it by use of a house icon rather than the actual word itself?

For example, Summer (from the Core Set or the demo decks available in the Support section) has the card text that gives the Stark symbol corresponding to the House Keyword "Stalwart". This means that Summer can only be attached to a character who has the printed word "Stalwart" on its card, correct?

Woohoo Cthulhu said:

Just to make sure I understand the concept of house specific keywords - In order for a character to gain the benefit of a house specific keyword, they need to have the actual word printed on their cards, however cards that affect character with a given keywords may refer to it by use of a house icon rather than the actual word itself?

For example, Summer (from the Core Set or the demo decks available in the Support section) has the card text that gives the Stark symbol corresponding to the House Keyword "Stalwart". This means that Summer can only be attached to a character who has the printed word "Stalwart" on its card, correct?

No.

House Icons merely refer to the House, not the Keyword -- they are simply a different version of the House Shield in the upper right corner of the card.

Wolf = Stark; Lion = Lannister; etc.

When reading Summer's text, you would say. "Creature. Direwolf. House Stark character only" -- not "Stalwart character only""

Summer may be attached to any Stark character (except one that says "No Attachments").

kauai1964 said:

No.

House Icons merely refer to the House, not the Keyword -- they are simply a different version of the House Shield in the upper right corner of the card.

Wolf = Stark; Lion = Lannister; etc.

When reading Summer's text, you would say. "Creature. Direwolf. House Stark character only" -- not "Stalwart character only""

Summer may be attached to any Stark character (except one that says "No Attachments").

Ah, gotcha! That makes a lot more sense. Thanks!