Thrown Weapons And Talent / Upgrade Bonuses

By pimeister, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Our group has just started a new game that is currently primitive level We have two new players who built different versions of the same idea: throwing stuff. I wanted to get onto the rules questions forums to see if our interpretations were correct for thrown weapons.

Spears: Class - Melee, Thrown. I initially thought that this weapon would get a bonus from crushing blow, but it was worded differently than mighty shot. Does this dual classification mean it can count as both ranged and melee for talents and upgrades? For example, best quality gear: if I throw a spear, and we assume that it doesnt get any bonuses that key off of "melee weapon" when used at range, then suddenly I lose 1 damage and my spear does not jam, which seems a little silly to me. Is there something wrong with playing under the assumption that I can keep bonuses from both weapon classes? An example would be a mono spear that got +2 damage from mighty shot and +1 damage from best quality.

Throwing knives / Stars: They are under the melee table but are only classified as thrown, so it would seem that we would not be able to add quite the same bonuses if "class" overrides the table it is on. We could not have a mono throwing knife, nor could we get the damage bonus from best quality. However, we could do the same thing as the above spear example with regular knives, which have the same classification.

Have these boards ever discussed thrown primitive weapons and reached any consensus with interaction? I was not able to dig up any discussions. If you respond, I would love to read both a hard rules interpretation and a personal opinion on how you feel these should work. I figured it would not come up in very many dark heresy games because people usually prefer to cut people in melee or shoot them in the face at range rather than throw ancient weapons at people in a futuristic setting.

I look forward to feedback, and thanks in advance for the help.

I would think that regarding to the upgrades and quality filthers, you should be able to do all possible upgrades, and get the melee benefits of the good/best quality, even when thrown. But I'd think you don't get mighty blow bonus when you throw it. But don't worry, you get your strength bonus onto the damage with thrown weapons.

Talents regarding ranged/melee only work when you use the weapon accordingly. On thrown weapons good/best should at least get the damage bonus, if not even the hit bonuses(they are more balanced, more sharp, better material etc. to increase their effects in both damage and ease of use). Upgrades to melee weapons apply to thrown weapons, if their base allows them (mono to primitive etc)

Anything that does sound silly, like you pointed out with the jamming, should be ignored, and applied the more sensible version.

Hope this helps

also: there exists thrown weapon training shock, chain and power. Those might actually hurt a bit more in futuristic setting.

I'm not sure what RAW say about that but as throwing weapons are usualy sorted into the melee weapons I'd say that they benefit from melee upgrades but not from ranged upgrades.

So yes, you could mono a thrown weapon and with better craftsmanship it will behave like a melee weapon as well but ranged talents like mighty shot will have not effect.

Thank you for the suggestions. Anyone else want to chime in?

I disagree, and so does the author of the excellent Excel Character Sheet .

Throwing knives are Ranged (because they have a Range value, which melee weapons do not, and they use BS, while melee weapons use WS) and get the benefit of Mighty Shot.

Darth Smeg said:

I disagree, and so does the author of the excellent Excel Character Sheet .

Throwing knives are Ranged (because they have a Range value, which melee weapons do not, and they use BS, while melee weapons use WS) and get the benefit of Mighty Shot.

But there were confusion between weapons which were melee/thrown. You get mighty shot only if you throw it, not when you melee with it, like Umbranus stated.