ravenhills use discovered?

By richsabre, in Strategy and deck-building

ive been thinking about him for a while- it feels as if his purpose alone is to combat locations such as rocky crags which i have been finding deadly if a already have a location that im going through, so you can get rid of that 4 threat using his action

i know there are rohan cards that place tokens, but they usually need you to discard a rohan ally and are extremely limited to use

so what do we think? is there going to be more rocky crag like locations coming up and we'll all be going, oh thank god for ravenhill scout

or is he gonna gather dust for eternity?

eternity

Here is my take on Ravenhill Scout.

Its not really a solo card but can be pretty awesome on multiplayer, especially 3+ with a good spirit deck that can pile progress tokens on locations. In this situation Ravenhill Scout accelerates what Spirit is doing allowing you to get rid of the worst threat locations faster while leaving the lesser threat locations in the staging area.

In solo it can't compare to the Northern Tracker and what Rohan can do. But if you're playing without spirit and want to manipulate locations in the staging are Ravenhill can do something but probably no enough. You need to travel to a location that requires 4+ progress tokens to explore and then quest enough to get 2+ tokens on the location and move them around. Ultimately you'd be better taking more questing power and powering through.

I found Ravenhill really useful in a two player game. I had a lore/leadership deck and the second player had a tactics/leadership deck. I had two Ravenhill and was using them to keep the staging area clear of locations.

So its definately a card that works better in multiplayer in my opinion and its nice to see another sphere other than spirit be able to manipulate progress tokens on locations (OK leadership has Snowborn Scout to.)

Later,

Wraith428

I don't think it's very good, but there are plenty of 3- and 4-threat, 2-quest point locations out there (The Necromancer's Pass, Rocky Crags, The East Wall of Rohan, etc.). If you have progress tokens on other locations, Ravenhill Scout is basically a better version of The Riddermark's Finest, which is definitely a good card. Targeted location removal is always, always good to have. The key limitation with the Scout--one that makes it inferior to the horse--is the fact that it is useless if you do not already have tokens placed elsewhere. Still, it's location control in a non-Spirit sphere, so that gives it some utility.

It can be a useful card to help get rid of nasty locations to which you don't want to travel . We had a multi player game where we had him in with Northern Tracker. It was worth moving the progress markers around, even from the active location to get rid of high threat or nasty ability locations. 3 threat locations going out every turn. Of course he did poorly when we made it to The Mountain Peaks of Redhorn Gate.

i figured it out! ravenhill is ffg's answer to combat power creep-every once in a while introduce really weak cards!!! lengua.gif

I'll agree that its currently a weak solo card. But a lot of cards are week in solo because your deck has to do so much in solo and can't specialize.

In multiplayer Ravenhill Scout can be very useful. Its a tech card that in the right quest can be great. Let's say you're playing "Into the Pit" near the start with the East Gate as the active location and draw a Lightless Passage. That's 4 threat in the staging area to deal with requiring 4 progress tokens. With a Northern Tracker that's 4 rounds to get rid of. Add the Raven Hill Scout and either another location for the Northern Tracker to place progress tokens on or make some progress on the East Gate and you can get rid of Lightless Passage in 2 turns.

In general I feel like locations have been getting harder since the core set. We're seeing a lot more 3+ threat locations needing 4 or more progress tokens to explore. As that trend continues I think the Ravenhill Scout can find a place in multiplayer although I wholeheartedly agree that currently its pretty weak in solo. Maybe someday there will be Dale synergy like Rohan and Dwarves... but probably not for a while.

Wraith428

wraith428 said:

I'll agree that its currently a weak solo card. But a lot of cards are week in solo because your deck has to do so much in solo and can't specialize.

In multiplayer Ravenhill Scout can be very useful. Its a tech card that in the right quest can be great. Let's say you're playing "Into the Pit" near the start with the East Gate as the active location and draw a Lightless Passage. That's 4 threat in the staging area to deal with requiring 4 progress tokens. With a Northern Tracker that's 4 rounds to get rid of. Add the Raven Hill Scout and either another location for the Northern Tracker to place progress tokens on or make some progress on the East Gate and you can get rid of Lightless Passage in 2 turns.

In general I feel like locations have been getting harder since the core set. We're seeing a lot more 3+ threat locations needing 4 or more progress tokens to explore. As that trend continues I think the Ravenhill Scout can find a place in multiplayer although I wholeheartedly agree that currently its pretty weak in solo. Maybe someday there will be Dale synergy like Rohan and Dwarves... but probably not for a while.

Wraith428

I was playing Into the Pit last night and having one tracker out + ravenhill scout pretty much helped me win the game. Got a Goblin Tunnels as the active location and cleared the build-up without an issues in just a couple turns. I think this card is definitely useful in multi-player. It sucks when you get stuck on a location you can't seem to clear and don't have any way of getting to those locations in the staging area (Like getting hit with the East Blight/Brown Lands combo of death). Not anymore sir! He has my endorsement. Definitely has a limited use but can be a game saver imo.