Expansions - will they return?

By Goemon5, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Now that the 2nd edition mows its way threw a new audience, can we hope for a re-release of all the older expansion sets? One would hope that the new edition obtains similar success as the old one, encouraging a re-release of those expansions that have been sold out for half a decade.

They may or may not reintroduce elements from the first edition expansions in 2e. We won't know that, of course, until they start releasing expansions for 2e. I sincerely doubt that they will ever print the actual first edition expansions again, however. First edition is officially OOP now. Furthermore, although I'm only too happy to see new expansions for 2e, I'm hoping they'll tone it down a notch and not try to release a new expansion every year. We saw what that did to 1e - namely, made it bloated with rules that didn't work very well together and encouraged errors in printing and design in the rush to meet the next deadline. I would be happier with a game that has more quality and less quantity.

If second edition sells remarkably poorly , they might be convinced to resurrect first edition, or at least to make a third edition that more closely resembles first edition. Frankly, though, considering the fact that even the biggest supporters of first edition willingly admit it has serious flaws in the rules, I don't see a huge demand for a return of 1e exactly as it was.

Seriously, though, let's at least let second edition get out the door before we start reminiscing about the good ol' days, shall we?

Steve-O said:

let's at least let second edition get out the door before we start reminiscing about the good ol' days, shall we?

Agreed. Let's see what happens.

(I'm just so dearly interested in getting my hands on a Roads to Legend box.)

Goemon5 said:

re-release of those expansions that have been sold out for half a decade.

Only 2 of those expansions were even released five years ago, much less sold out/OOP.