2nd quest in the core game (The Brothers Durnog)

By spooky86668, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Under "Chests" section of the quest the copper chests are listed, but on the dungeon schematic there are none ... Is there, maybe, supposed to be a copper chest in the starting area ???

If not then ... Ain't it a bit too hard for the heroes to kill the first giant ??? I mean ... He has +5 life and 6 armor so it's really hard, in my opinion, to even scratch him with shop items, and he hits real hard + he has reach & sweep, while the heroes only have 5 conquest tokens to start with which means the overlord has to kill just 2 to win in most cases ...

Ok, I know he moves only 2 spaces at a time, but if OL uses Charge for example, and with Reach ... It's not that hard to catch the heroes ...

We played it a couple of times now, and the heroes managed it only once, but maybe it's because we played it with only 2 and 3 heroes ???

I hear one of the best tactics for that particular Quest is to let your fastest hero to be the first player. This hero would then rush inside the room with the first giant, open the treasure chest, and hopefully, leave alive through the glyph.

Now even if he dies, everyone will be better equiped to take the giant down.

Two heroes are actually a real pro-gamer option, because it is too easy for the overlord to overwhelm the heroes. Playing with four heroes will make it a lot easier, due to the incresed fire power, especially if two heroes have piercing weapons or runes.

I played this quest a couple of times as Overlord, but the giants never appeared to be a problem. The heroes can easily step back from them, and even melee characters can stay out of reach if they invest fatigue. What threw my heroes off were most often the undying ogres. They don't do that much, but if you rely on killing them, instead of taking your safety step backwards, you can get into big trouble.

Mestre dos Magos said:

I hear one of the best tactics for that particular Quest is to let your fastest hero to be the first player. This hero would then rush inside the room with the first giant, open the treasure chest, and hopefully, leave alive through the glyph.

Now even if he dies, everyone will be better equiped to take the giant down.

This quest has been devised to teach the Hero players the running tactic and the usefullness of Fatigue potions, which are by far the best (healing potions are marginally useful in Descent).

As Mestre dos Magos said, you need to Run inside the room with a high Speed/high Fatigue Hero, collect loot (especially Chest), activate Glyph and flee to Town. You must notice that the "runner" shouldn't be the first player, because he needs to have 100% flexibility to do the job right. He must not lose 2 MP to open the door, which could also trigger a Paralyzing Gas trap and vanify the whole strategy, and must have enough Fatigue to compensate for any Crushing Block or Spiked Pit the Overlord can throw at him. This is where a Fatigue Potion comes in handy, even though the FAQ limites the use to 1 potion per turn.

If this tactic is clear, this Quest is a joke even with 3 Heroes (never tried with 2, but it is known that this game scales poorly and it's better balanced with 4). If they are unlucky with the rolls, the Heroes may die in the Start Area but in this case it will be easy to restart the quest immediately.