Are these cards any good?

By DrNate, in Strategy and deck-building

I have analysis paralysis every time there's a new expansion. I can usually detect the really good and really bad cards, but some seem to be in the middle, and I'm glad there's no a strategy forum for me to ask about them.

What do y'all think of Veteran of Nanduhirion and Dwarrowdelf Axe? I run a T/S deck with Gim/Leg/Eow, so there's only one Dwarf, but I want him to have an axe. Veteran has big numbers which I like, but that drawback gives me pause.

I'll probably add more cards to the topic soon. Or someone else can if they have cards they want your opinions on.

What do you plan on doing with Gimli? His ability revolves around increased attack damage.

If you want to consider characters to get you some bonuses for killing enemies, perhaps Dwalin as he reduces threat for killing Orcs. If you are worried about the lost Tactics resource, you could always toss in Song of Battle and Horn of Gondor for some resource help. :-)

i like veteren but he does enter hurt ...which is a bit of a downside (though thematically good)

dwarrowdelf axe....mmm....i think it beats the old axe, though both have their uses.....yes.....if i was playing a tactics dwarf deck i dont think id go questing with a couple of dwarrowdelf axes.....dont think i can say the same for vetern though

Dwarrowdelf Axe found a spot in my Dwarf deck (aka Leftover deck). One game of Seventh Level was pretty much won for me by a turn 1 Erebor Hammersmith + DA played on him. Dain with Book quested, then defended if needed, Hammersmith slowly grinded out those Orcs, Goblin Swordsman he could kill on his own, Goblin Spearman he killed the second attack (or first if Dain got readied by Erebor Record Keeper).

Dwarrowdelf Axe is a fine weapon because it can be given to an ally. Veteran Axe Hand+ Dwarrowdelf Axe gives you a mighty attacker for the cost of 3 resources. It also enables you to kill off enemies with low HP but big defense value (Goblin Spearman). It's definitely better than the Dwarven Axe.

The main problem for me was that in all KD scenarios my fighting abilities already were sufficient enough, so I didn't need the extra attack by DD Axe. I included Veteran of Nanduhirion instead, because he can make a difference when you're faced against the Cave Troll or the Patrol Leader. Yes, he is expensive, but he's a life assurance during a worst case scenario.

leptokurt said:

Dwarrowdelf Axe is a fine weapon because it can be given to an ally.

This is the main point, regardless of the neat ability of adding a dmg point that is beyond the defense of the card (nice combo with Thalin, who has become a ever more star quester after khaz) The fact that this can be cast on a ally is in itself a reason that this card rocks.

7775589.png

DrNate said:

I have analysis paralysis every time there's a new expansion. I can usually detect the really good and really bad cards, but some seem to be in the middle, and I'm glad there's no a strategy forum for me to ask about them.

What do y'all think of Veteran of Nanduhirion and Dwarrowdelf Axe? I run a T/S deck with Gim/Leg/Eow, so there's only one Dwarf, but I want him to have an axe. Veteran has big numbers which I like, but that drawback gives me pause.

I'll probably add more cards to the topic soon. Or someone else can if they have cards they want your opinions on.

Dwarrowdelf Axe is a superb card in a deck with plenty of Dwarves. 1 resource for (effectively) a permanent +2 attack bonus is a better value than similar cards like Dwarven Axe and Dunedain Mark. Plus, since the response effect deals direct damage, you will ALWAYS deal at least 1 point of damage to the targeted enemy. I'd always play it in any Dwarf deck that has access to Tactics resources. It's probably overkill with Gimli, but it'll never be a dead card.

Veteran is more of a mixed bag. 3 attack is nice, but it comes at a steep cost. Forget the drawback--I'm just not sure the stats justify the cost. For whatever reason, I'm hesitant to play a 4-cost ally that doesn't have some other substantial benefit (e.g. Elfhelm, Faramir, etc.). Veteran pales in comparison to Eagles of the Misty Mountains (as do most allies, to be fair), but it's probably a cut above Beorning Beekeeper. If you are using the Eagles, I think Descendant of Thorondor is a stronger choice than the Veteran, especially in a solo deck.

booored said:

This is the main point, regardless of the neat ability of adding a dmg point that is beyond the defense of the card (nice combo with Thalin, who has become a ever more star quester after khaz) The fact that this can be cast on a ally is in itself a reason that this card rocks.

Totally agree. Thanks to KD, Thalin has almost become auto-include for me. It's also nice to have more reasons to pop in the Gondorian Spearmen again, since all those 2 HP orcs can be comboed down quite nicely. Those, with the axe on a Dwarf Axehand and the Mirkwood guy who bypasses armour, have made combat so much more exciting for me. More options for stabby-ness!