Questions about "Masks of Nyarlethotep" trading cards

By SlyMcNasty, in CoC General Discussion

I just started out and I want as many cards as I can get for cheap. I found a pretty good deal on MoN cards and I was under the impression that they are compatible with the CoC LCG.

Assuming they are compatible

1) Have they been reprinted in Asylum Packs?

2) Are they tourney legal?

Any other info you could give me on the cards would be appreciated! Thanks.

I also found and purchased several boosters of the old CCG-era cards to bolster my collection on the cheap. They are 100% compatible with the LCG cards. There were some very minor tweaks to the rules between editions (namely playing with only 3 copies of a card in your deck as opposed to 4), but those rules don't effect how the cards work in any way. Note that the black-border (CCG) and white-border (LCG) cards have different backs, so you must use opaque sleeves if you want to mix and match them in the same deck.

To answer your questions:

1) Several of the cards from MoN have been reprinted in the LCG format. I believe all of these are found in either the Core set or Secrets of Arkham. I'll double check (when I have a bit more time), but I don't believe there are any black-border cards found in the APs.

While at first this might seem like a drawback, I've actually found it quite helpful to have 6+ copies of the same card.

2) Black-border cards are not tournament legal unless they have been reprinted as white-border cards. If you have any black-border reprints in your tournament deck, you must notify the Tournament Organizer ahead of time (to ensure there aren't any discrepancies between the CCG and LCG editions).

My group mixes both CCG and LCG cards to create some very thematic decks. I would recommend buying two boxes of MoN boosters, though. I found you'll get about half the rares and 2 uncommons per booster box. With 2 boxes, you'll end up with 3-4 of every uncommon, and grab some doubles of the rares, which is critical for streamlining your deck.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I also see the Arkham starter box on the same site. It says it has 5 mythos and 5 investigator decks.

Are each of the 5 mythos and 5 investigator decks different? (similar to Magic starter decks)

Hmm... I think I know which site you're talking about gui%C3%B1o.gif

About the Arkham Edition starters:

1) Half of each starter deck contains a fixed set of cards (roughly 27). In addition, each starter includes 3 domain cards and 10 story cards. The remaining 20 cards are randomly assorted. I believe you get 2 rares and 4 uncommons per deck, though it could be 8 uncommons (my memory is failing me here).

2) There are 2 types of Arkham Edtion starter decks - Investigator and Mythos.

Each type of the same starter deck comes with an indentical set of fixed cards. The story cards in both the Investigator and Mythos decks are identical as well (so there are only 10 unique story cards, not 20). However, the 3 domain cards are different (one Investigator-themed set of 3, and one Mythos-themed set of 3).

Therefore, you will get 5 identical Investigator starter decks, and 5 identical Mythos starter decks in the 10 starter-deck box. In both types of starter deck, the assorted cards are totally random.

Now the question - is it worth it? Absolutely. I would get it for the story and domain cards alone, but having more than 3 copies of a good card can be very handy when making multiple decks if you're the one doing all the deck-building for your friends.

I ended up buying 4 of the 10-deck starter boxes, and I've been giving away the fixed portions as a "jump starter" to people who have joined the game. Plus it gives them a nice set of domain cards, which looks much better on the tabletop, and is far more thematic than just flipping over a card and using it as a domain.

Oh no - a reverse time sequence posting. This reply is only to clear out the otherwise unclearable "new post" indicator.

My Eldritch powers of temporal control at work, it would seem. Space and time? I laugh at you.

So, um, err, have fun with those black-border cards...