Viable Bast anyone?

By MyNeighbourTrololo, in Fan Creations

Does anyone know how to make Bast viable and not overpowered in the same time? Or have somebody did this already?

I played plenty of matches, and all this time The Story Continues was drawn only once.

How about Bast token costs only 1 focus to keep instead of all? And can be spent as a Clue token if desired, but no player can have more than 1 Bast token at a time.

And about becoming beloved of Bast... maybe effect should trigger every time Mystic environment is drawn or something, instead of The Story Continues?

There is a good Herald created by Veet, I think, about the Cats of Ulthar, wich worked good with Bast. Not so sure it's what you're searching for, though.

Where it can be found?

MyNeighbourTrololo said:

Where it can be found?

Here

If I recall correctly that was part of a challenge someone issued. I don't recall if anyone else made any others though.

Yeah, it was something suggested by Avi. I don't remember other submissions either

Well, this one doesn't fixes the Bast being a crappy guardian, it does just only adds conditions which non-present otherwise, making it even worse for the big picture.

You could trigger Bast's ability on any shuffle, not just The Story Continues .

When else do you shuffle Mythos deck?

Jake yet again said:

You could trigger Bast's ability on any shuffle, not just The Story Continues .

Do you mean when you reshuffle the Other World deck as well? (Is that "The Stars Are Right"?) Cause that's a lot more likely to happen than "The Story Continues"...

What about if the ability triggered on a Monster Surge during the Mythos phase rather than when 'The Story Continues' is drawn, that would make it far more likely to happen and would fit in with the protection from monsters theme, also allow the 'Beloved of Bast' card to be taken by the first player in this case (Bast is rather fickle after all.

So the ability would read:

Bast's Favor

When a Monster Surge occurs during the Mythos phase, if the first player has a Bast token or the Foolishness Ally, he discards any Bast token he has and takes the Beloved of Bast cards instead.

Played a game with Bast and Tulzscha and she helped us a lot.

With four investigators, none with maximum sneak higher than 3, and 2 cultists in the streets we realized that we were never going to get rid of them. So we switched to plan B. After we had sealed 4 gates we used two investigators to block the streets, using bast tokens, and prevent the cultists to roam freely.

This pretty much won the game for us. But sure, there were a lot of special conditions to make her that useful. I can't stop wondering though; if the bast tokens, used in some similar way, couldn't be quite useful in other setups.

Tbla said:

With four investigators, none with maximum sneak higher than 3, and 2 cultists in the streets we realized that we were never going to get rid of them.

In case you don't have Bast, try this: buy someone a blessing, and spend a couple of clues to enter combat with the Cultists. It usually works (in case you don't have any Evade boosting items, or skills)

Julia said:

Tbla said:

With four investigators, none with maximum sneak higher than 3, and 2 cultists in the streets we realized that we were never going to get rid of them.

In case you don't have Bast, try this: buy someone a blessing, and spend a couple of clues to enter combat with the Cultists. It usually works (in case you don't have any Evade boosting items, or skills)

Thanks for the tip.

We were thinking about clue tokens but we dicided against it since we were a bit short on them and we had to hurry (doom track almost full).

Tbla said:

Thanks for the tip.

We were thinking about clue tokens but we dicided against it since we were a bit short on them and we had to hurry (doom track almost full).

Yeah. Usually spending clues on skill check is not worth the value, but sometimes you have to (cultists removing ES can mean game over). That's why it's always good blessing somebody before trying :-)