Question about tank sizes and stuff

By samruiz123, in Tide of Iron

I jut got the Days of the fox expansion...and it seems to me that they made these tanks smaller than the ones that came in the big box...are these smaller becasue they were in fact smaller tanks?? or FFG just went cheaper with smaller tanks?? i am researching on the net about it too.

also, how many tanks are you allowed to have in 1 hex

how many tanks with squads are you allowed to have in 1 hex

how many squads are you allowed to have in 1 hex..

thanks for the responses.

"are these smaller becasue they were in fact smaller tanks"

They are actually smaller tanks, although the scale of the models in the game isn't always completely consistent.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_L1vlbK3vPMk/TTmBpnOSEmI/AAAAAAAADc8/VwADxqFnA74/s1600/file024.bmp is a picture showing a British Crusader passing a Panzer IV -- and this is before the PzIV got the additional side-armour. Even discounting the perspective, the wrecked Panzer is clearly larger.

Arguably, in the desert, this was not the advantage it might have been because the Panzer was an easier target on wide open spaces...

The war in the desert happened in the 1941-43 period, whereas the Sherman/Tiger tanks of the original box set are from 12-18 months later during the fighting in Normandy. The tanks increased in size to accomodate bigger guns and more armour. If you can get to a decent tank museum, it's quite illustrative how the tanks evolved through 6 years of war (The PzIIs used by the Germans in the invasion of France in 1939, for example, look small compared to a modern car!!). Particularly if you can get to the tank museum in Dorset, England where they have a restored Tiger (the only fully functioning one) and the size comparisons with earlier tanks and against contemporary allied tanks is striking. When you've seen the size of it, you can understand why it provoked the reaction it did.

The scale of the Days of Fox tanks is slightly smaller. In the Normandy expansion, the scale is obviously different, since you can see that the PZ-!V jag panzer is smaller than the PZ-IV tank from the Tide of Iron base set. They should be about the same size, since the chassis is the same. The Tiger II, however, is about the same scale as the base set. I personally like the original scale tank models best, in proportional relation to the infantry figures scale.