New player with some questions.

By Trix Spike, in Call of Cthulhu Deck Construction

Hello there folks.

As the topic says, i´m a new player wanting to start CoC LCG. Not new to CCG/LCG thou, mainly VtES and Warhammer Invasion.

So, here is my situation. I have talked with my friend about the game and came to the conclusion that i want to start my playing career with Agency and later on enhance them with Silver Twilight Lodge. My friend haven´t had the change to help me with card buying yet, so i turn to you.

Is there any definite stuff i would need to buy, besides the starter, to get going? I would like to start with more than the starter, to get more options to my deck, but just don´t know what to buy.

Or if there any pointers or tip´s about starting the game?

The commonly recommended sequence is Core -> Secrets of Arkham -> Yuggoth Contract/Summons of the Deep/Ancient Relics and then picking up a second Core somewhere.

Usually the Silver Twilight box isn't recommended early because it's more important to start building a diverse card pool and a box which is mostly a new faction doesn't help with that goal. But, if you specifically want to play Silver Twilight then it might make sense to do something like:

Core -> Secrets of Arkham -> Silver Twilight -> Rituals of the Order, and then either a second Core set or Ancient Relics in some order.

All the asylum packs from Rituals onward have some Silver Twilight cards in them, but Rituals of the Order has a higher percentage than the later cycles.

dboeren said:

The commonly recommended sequence is Core -> Secrets of Arkham -> Yuggoth Contract/Summons of the Deep/Ancient Relics and then picking up a second Core somewhere.

Usually the Silver Twilight box isn't recommended early because it's more important to start building a diverse card pool and a box which is mostly a new faction doesn't help with that goal. But, if you specifically want to play Silver Twilight then it might make sense to do something like:

Core -> Secrets of Arkham -> Silver Twilight -> Rituals of the Order, and then either a second Core set or Ancient Relics in some order.

All the asylum packs from Rituals onward have some Silver Twilight cards in them, but Rituals of the Order has a higher percentage than the later cycles.

Thanks for the quick answer.

dboeren said:

But, if you specifically want to play Silver Twilight then it might make sense to do something like:

Would that kinda route work with my original idea of going Agency/Silver Twilight? Or should i dip into some other cycle for more usefull Agency cards?

Vermeulen said:

Would that kinda route work with my original idea of going Agency/Silver Twilight? Or should i dip into some other cycle for more usefull Agency cards?

Well, that's true - Silver Twilight is a hard faction to play and I think mainly aimed towards experienced players. They tend to be more combo-oriented that the other factions and include a lot of effects which give both a positive and negative effect.

To play them well, you have to have good judgement of when the positive effects outweigh the negative, or figure out tricks & combos that turn the negatives into something that's not really a negative after all.

If you're experienced in a lot of other CCGs or specifically looking for a challenge that's one thing, but if not then you should be aware of what you'd be letting yourself in for.

Mixing them in with Agency (a relatively straightforward faction) would help some, but you still want to be getting use out of both halves of your deck.

dboeren said:

Well, that's true - Silver Twilight is a hard faction to play and I think mainly aimed towards experienced players. They tend to be more combo-oriented that the other factions and include a lot of effects which give both a positive and negative effect.

To play them well, you have to have good judgement of when the positive effects outweigh the negative, or figure out tricks & combos that turn the negatives into something that's not really a negative after all.

If you're experienced in a lot of other CCGs or specifically looking for a challenge that's one thing, but if not then you should be aware of what you'd be letting yourself in for.

Mixing them in with Agency (a relatively straightforward faction) would help some, but you still want to be getting use out of both halves of your deck.

I meant to say in my earlier post, that i aint new to the CCG/LCG scene.

Have played VtES for many years and splashed into many other games(Warhamme Invasion to be one) during my time.

So combos and stuff shouldnt be a too much of a burden to me. :)