Feudalism and Engineering

By krotznapopulov, in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

Hello,

This might be a strange question, but my gaming group has some troubles with Feudalism. I couldn't find any clarification on this forum, so I thought I'd ask here. Sorry if this question has been asked before.

Our problems are with of the resource ability of Feudalism:

1. Do the recources mentioned include hammers?

2.If so, does that mean that if you have Feudalism as your government, any one of your cities can use any and all hammers of your other cities?

3. If so, and say that you have two cities: if the first uses the hammers of the second, can the secondcity still build using any hammers the first city didn't use?

4.And lastly, does that mean that if you have engineering, you can distribute all available hammers of all your cities at will amongst your cities?

I'd say yes to 1. and 2., but no to 3. and 4., but I'm not sure. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

The answer is no to all of the above. This is due to the fact that "hammers" are a sort of production capaity and not resources. In this case, the term "Resources" referrs to Incense, Iron, Silk and Wheat only.

This means that if one of your cities has Iron in it's outskirts the other two does not, all three of those cities can still harvest Iron and not only the city that actually physically has it in it's outskirts. As long as you are governed by Feudalism that is.

This is really just reiterating Fnoffen, but hammers are production , not resources. This is made very clear on pages 6 & 7 of the manual. You must not confuse what one would colloquially call something and what the game specifically calls something.

Ok, thank you both for the clear answers!

Feudalism question: if one city has incense then I understand that any city could harvest it, but could all three cities harvest that one incense on one turn. Basically 3 incense out of one map spot per turn?

According to RAW (Rules As Written) I see nothing to hinder such a course of action. In other words, yes it seems you can.

Hum, for me it's clearly forbidden. A square can only be used once. The only exception is Angkor Vat. The best thing you can have is a combinaison of feodalism and Angkor Vat, so the city of your choice can harvest a ressource twice in the same turn.

Angkor Vat works only once per turn but can be used in any of your cities. The advantage with feodalism is that if the city with incense (let's say it's the ressource you want to harvest) needs to build something urgent or is the only one that is able to build something that cost lots of hammers, you can harvest the incense (twice with Angkor Vat) with another city.

Making feodalism able to harvest the same square 3 times is overpowered. It's a lvl 2 governement that already give you a coin. Compare to democracy that give you 2 tradeā€¦ and it's clear that feodalism don"t allow you to use such a powerfull trick like harvesting 3 times per turn the same incence.

It might seem op but one should take into concideration that you won't be able to do anything else with the cities that turn.