Boromir's Populalrity

By Budgernaut, in Strategy and deck-building

Last week I bought all the Shadows of Mirkwood packs and have started building decks. Now, when I had just the Core Set, I did a lot of low threat with Dunhere, but it got kind of boring. With all the new heroes, I was taken by Boromir's utility. I used him with the two hobbits in a protect-the-hobbits deck to beat The Hunt for Gollum. It was really fun. I moved onto Conflict at the Carrock and I'm stumped. I've gotten close, but haven't succeeded yet. I'm using Boromir with Eagles and it seems like it has a lot of potential. I'm just struck by how many times Boromir can save your fellowship and I can't seem to let him go.

My question is, do a lot of people use Boromir, or does his starting threat and threat-increasing ability really put him out of house and home, so to speak? I'm interested in his overall use among all the scenarios, not just Conflict at the Carrock.

boromirs a legend! if anything the only downside is the impact on threat- not just his starting threat, but how tempting it is to keep readying him, and then bam!!! your at 50 and dead

i do think with the right deck and strategy he's a firm winner

i like to put him sort of like you did, with two low threat heros, and use thread reduction cards to lower it even more so i can really use that readying effect

I wonder what sort of crazy combos we can come up with for the new secrecy keyword? i can imagine a deck with just boromir on his lonesome

richsabre said:

I wonder what sort of crazy combos we can come up with for the new secrecy keyword? i can imagine a deck with just boromir on his lonesome

Holy COW that would be awesome!

Budgernaut said:

richsabre said:

Holy COW that would be awesome!

i wonder if its possible- it sort of a paradoxial (i think thats the correct term) situation

whereas having a 1 hero deck with boromir would lead to a tiny starting threat meaning you could use secrecy, it would also mean having to ready him 2/3 times per turn, meaning 3/4 threat per turn! meaning that youd soon reach the 20 threat level

After getting KD and Dwalin, I took out Gimli from my Tactics/Spirit deck, put in Dwalin (replacing Dunhere) and Boromir for Gimli. Especially in the KD quests, Boro + Dwalin, you can defend + attack with Boro and still be at even threat, if you can kill the orc with Dwalin alone, you can get a leg up on threat each turn.

Dam said:

After getting KD and Dwalin, I took out Gimli from my Tactics/Spirit deck, put in Dwalin (replacing Dunhere) and Boromir for Gimli. Especially in the KD quests, Boro + Dwalin, you can defend + attack with Boro and still be at even threat, if you can kill the orc with Dwalin alone, you can get a leg up on threat each turn.

yes this combo is very useful. Gimly start to lose his popularity cose he need damage to be good (bad for scores) and he is expensive!

Dwalin and Boromir they are good fighters as a team against orcs of Moria. But Boromir is not so popular as i thought before. But maybe with new Cycle player cards he become even more useful.

his ability really owns in the new Khaz quest for getting past that last section, but I find that he is to expensive a cost. The threat gain is just not something I feel like paying and he early gets into my solo decks. Ii find him kind of lazy in a way. A player instead of building a deck that can handle things or play creatively will sacrifice his score to use this heroes ability. I just feel he is kind of sloppy, and there are much better heroes imo.

He is a great hero for running in 2 or 3 player though. You can make very low threat decks were he is the only hero on the table for that player. This is extremely effective and apart from the prince there is no hero so far that is as versatile running a single hero deck.

I play 90% of my games 2-player with my girlfriend. Boromir is obviously insane in Flight from Moria, but apart from that, we don't use him all that much. Our most-used tactics hero is still Legolas though he isn't that good in the Khazad Dum quests, and Thalin has become a lot more popular since the printing of Dain.

In any combat-heavy scenario (The Seventh Level, The Massing at Osgiliath, etc.) he's worth his figurative weight in gold. Even comes in pretty handy in The Dead Marshes. Part of the reason I like him is the fact that he maximizes the value of any attachments you slap on him. Cards like Dunedain Mark/Warning and Support of the Eagles are always good, but they become insane when Boromir can bring them to bear three or four times per turn.

Plus, he's awesome because you can always sacrifice him in a blaze of glory. Sometimes I'll purposely soften up three or four enemies, just so I can nuke them all at once. Excellent way to finish off scenarios like Return to Mirkwood and Journey Along the Anduin.

Wow, fricking retarded forum software, tried to send a post last night from my pad and it screwed up somehow....

Anyway, what I was saying is that support of the eagles taps independently of the hero it is attached to., Borimiers ability to ready dose not ready the support of the eagles card that is attached to him.

But fortunately, Support of the Eagles lasts the duration of the phase, so you could exhaust it and Boromir will still get the bonus each time he attacks. Slap two of those puppies on Boromir and he's got some awesome mods for both attack and defense! . . . at the cost of threat and final score, of course.

oh right... i see what you mean now... yes.. your right this effect dose stack nicely with borimir and the prince