Any good ??

By Dicenilee, in Wiz-War

So was the game worth the wait ??? how does it compare to the original ?

Nivanti said:

I don't know how the original was but I can say the FFG version is beautifully made and has much potential for expansions. As a standalone, it packs a lot of replay value and is incredibly fun. I have only played duels so far but tomorrow I know I will find out how a 3-wizard match is like.

For 40 or 50 dollars (depending where you get it at), this is a solid investment. I didn't think anything would beat Mansions of Madness as my favorite game, but Wiz-War has (with a little anticipation for the creature expansions coinciding).

Nivanti said:

I've never played the original, but I've heard that the optional rules in the game, plus the original board layouts, allow you to play something close to the original game.

As for my experience with the game so far, after about 5 plays, I'd say that it's a lot of fun. The setup is quick. It takes about 5 minutes to learn. The highly variable nature of the spells, board and play styles looks like it will have high replay value.

I'm not sure where I stand on whether or not it is a high strategy game. With two players, I think the strategy is limited. It's kill or be killed. With more players, I could see how casting spells that rotate sectors, or affect the entire board, could get very interesting. I look forward to finding out.

Regardless of its strategic value, it is quick, imaginative fun with a good dose of creativity thrown in. The components are beautiful and sturdy.

I never played the original, but played three 3 player games a few days ago. We all had a lot of fun. Very backstabby. Very random. Strategy felt limited and was always in flux with cards constantly changing in your hand. Not too balanced as cards aren't all equal and starting positions can vary in advantage. We didn't mind though since the games took under an hour. Random, crazy fun.

nburg said:

I never played the original, but played three 3 player games a few days ago. We all had a lot of fun. Very backstabby. Very random. Strategy felt limited and was always in flux with cards constantly changing in your hand. Not too balanced as cards aren't all equal and starting positions can vary in advantage. We didn't mind though since the games took under an hour. Random, crazy fun.

So you must have been doing something wrong, or you are just casual players as I can't see much of the randomness in this game except for drawing cards. Cards are somewhat balanced and it's visible during the first play who's better and who's not. There are some lucky shots though but it's all about skill.

I've played the original (6th edition) more than ten years ago. My impression of the old version is a game which drags for long playing time and a lot of rule questions arise. In contrast, the new FFG edition has much cleaner rules, and the school of magic is a great addition for replayability, plus the new game board is better designed IMHO.

Angus Lee said:

I've played the original (6th edition) more than ten years ago. My impression of the old version is a game which drags for long playing time and a lot of rule questions arise. In contrast, the new FFG edition has much cleaner rules, and the school of magic is a great addition for replayability, plus the new game board is better designed IMHO.

I second this. Picked it up last week and played two three player games in two hours (including going over the rules)

NB - Avoid flaming Werewolves ;)

Giantcavecrab said:

Flaming werewolves! I've seen that before. Have you seen yourself alone in a suddenly closed-off room with an invisible man wielding a dagger? har har

I picked this game too and quickly becomes one of the favourites, i heavily recommend it.

I have never played the original, but this version looks great, a bit more restricted in some ways and with less super spells, in my opinion it is very well balanced. See this thread: summary-of-changes-from-old-edition

Tromdial said:

Giantcavecrab said:

Flaming werewolves! I've seen that before. Have you seen yourself alone in a suddenly closed-off room with an invisible man wielding a dagger? har har

I tried it one time, the guy had 2 life (he just eated a fireball) and i have one more in my hand, so i did a cage with a stone block and a stone wall, but he used swap to teleport away lengua.gif . It´s one of the best things of the game, it is unpredictable.

The game is ultimately entertaining! If there is one "skill" that players need to have it is to be able to analyze the immediate situation and then take the best course of action. If you're looking for a game that allows you to gradually apply learned strategies, this isn't it! You need to make up your strategies on the fly.