Are two player games always to the death?

By Grim Jester, in Wiz-War

I've only played two, two player games so far, but I can't see why I would ever try to collect two treasures from my opponent instead of battling it out to the death. Has anyone won a two player game, with an equal opponent, by collecting 2 treasures?

So far, my strategy has been to delay confrontation, perhaps by moving my treasures around a little, and collect items to equip. Once I feel strong enough, I confront the enemy, and go for the kill. If the enemy picks up a treasure, I follow him/her back, re-take it, and continue the attack.

I know the game's strategies can vary depending on the cards that you get and the changes in the boards, but has anyone won a two player game by collecting treasures?

If we were playing it right, my friend and I basically did commit to death match, however, I picked up my own treasure chest, forcing him to try and kill me. There are a couple spells that can help get the jump on your opponent if you managed already to get one of his treasures, like Drop Object if your opponent is carrying his own, but so far I have not seen it done myself.

We have the same problem. 2 treasure against 1 kill doesnt add up.
We have tried it three times with 1 kills or 1 treasure and that does work quite good but it depends on the deck/s.
If both player has dangerous attack card it will be a deathmatch but if one player has more "maze-oriented" cards like rotate, bushes... he will try to take a treasure and leave.
In 2 of the 3 games I played, stealing treasure was the ending, both games with a low health on that player, the third game was more or less a stand-still shootout.

I wonder if you should play a "can't pick up your own treasure rule" for 2 player matches.

nburg said:

I wonder if you should play a "can't pick up your own treasure rule" for 2 player matches.

I suppose 2 player variants can be explored, but after playing with 4 people, the 2 player game just doesn't compare. Two player games are kind of fun, but they are much more predictable.

Seems a very simple rule that would solve a major issue and make the 2 player game much more dynamic. But I agree, the more players the more interesting game play.

I've answered my own question. It is not as unlikely as you might think to steal two treasures. It is hard, and the cards have to go your way, but if you can get one treasure home, it's basically a matter of moving quickly to ****** the next treasure and getting back before the other wizard can stop you. I never realized just how fast a wizard can move with portals, speed boosts, wind rider and a few broken walls.

GrimJester said:

I've answered my own question. It is not as unlikely as you might think to steal two treasures. It is hard, and the cards have to go your way, but if you can get one treasure home, it's basically a matter of moving quickly to ****** the next treasure and getting back before the other wizard can stop you. I never realized just how fast a wizard can move with portals, speed boosts, wind rider and a few broken walls.

Same here. Just the other night I won twice in a row by grabbing both my opponent's treasures. I couldn't win the original way anyhow because he got Pain Link and boosted it every game. What's worse, I shuffled and weaved our deck myself preocupado.gif

My wife kicked my behind twice in a row by getting both my treasures. Both times I was within a turn of defeating her, so it's both possible and fun!

I've played 4 games so far, all against my son, and deliberately won all 4 by stealing treasures. Now you did say in an even game, which this isn't (he's 7) but it's a good way to introduce a handicap if you don't want to let your opponent know you're going easy on them. I threw a few damage spells at him for show but mainly concentrated on mobility and defending my own treasure. He nearly got me the last game so I have high hopes that I can get a good game going once he's got used to the more complex tactics. I was surprised though at how fast you can ****** a treasure if you have the right cards and the right maze layout, so playing to 1 point might lead to some very quick wins occasionally, especially against equal players.

Grubbyfoot said:

I've played 4 games so far, all against my son, and deliberately won all 4 by stealing treasures. Now you did say in an even game, which this isn't (he's 7) but it's a good way to introduce a handicap if you don't want to let your opponent know you're going easy on them. I threw a few damage spells at him for show but mainly concentrated on mobility and defending my own treasure. He nearly got me the last game so I have high hopes that I can get a good game going once he's got used to the more complex tactics. I was surprised though at how fast you can ****** a treasure if you have the right cards and the right maze layout, so playing to 1 point might lead to some very quick wins occasionally, especially against equal players.

I am 100% behind everything that you said. I have to add that I'm always glad to hear when parents are playing games with their kids!

Yes, I completely replace my older posts with treasure snatching in 1v1 is very worthwhile. There are also a few cards where even if your opponent does pick up his other chest to protect it, there are a decent amount of cards that can pry it from his wizard. After becoming more veteran at this game, it is sometimes as accessible, and easier, to steal both chests versus outright killing your opponent.

Grubbyfoot said:

Awesome. I just ordered this in hopes that I can play with my 10 year old.