Painting

By zefert1, in Tannhauser

I've never painted minis before. So I was wondering what some cheap paints are that would work with Tannhauser? I don't want to do much, I just want to make a figure for the red oni using a Itami model? Also, should I strip Atami of pain first, or can I just paint over his blue parts? Any help would be appreciated.

I always suggest Reaper Master Series paints over others: for about USD$2.75 a bottle online, their prices are comparable to other paint lines, plus they have good reds and metallics, with the most vibrant red i've seen (Clear Red). They are highly pigmented and have flow improver in them already, so they can be applied in thin coats to avoid losing detail. Bottles are eye-dropper style with an agitator inside so paint is mixed up mor efficiently when shaken up. They're acrylic though, so it's good to seal w/ a lacquer, especially to maintain the color brightness and clarity. Otherwise, i'd suggest enamel paint such as Testor's - they wouldn't need to be sealed, but the paint is thicker, so you'd lose more details.

as far as removing paint, i've never tried with TH figures because the plastic is so soft and the existing paint is pretty durable - i'd be afraid stripping may damage the figure's shape. I've painted over existing paint though - you lose detail with the extra layers (so the thinner & higher the pigmentation saturation the paint, the better)

Well my younger sister sat down and painted Itami per your instructions, he looks great. Also, I think she used fingernail polish as a cealent for the acrylic paint. She hasn't painted the eyes yet, but here's what she's done so far.

IMAG0085.jpg

IMAG0084.jpg

IMAG0083.jpg

IMAG0082.jpg

IMAG0081.jpg

IMAG0080.jpg

IMAG0079.jpg

IMAG0078.jpg

IMAG0077.jpg

IMAG0076.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

you have to use FFG's insert image button, but it can be troublesome.

looks good! I'd personally call him Imati, Itami's angrier twin :P

if the clear coat you used looks too shiny comparatively and the coat is thick enough, you can take some steel wool to lightly scuff the shinier parts and dull the appearance (or brush on a matte varnish - vallejo makes one for under $3).

Miah999 said:

you have to use FFG's insert image button, but it can be troublesome.

Ah, thanks, I just couldn't figure that out. All the other forums I use are just a simple img code.

Artemus Maximus said:

looks good! I'd personally call him Imati, Itami's angrier twin :P

if the clear coat you used looks too shiny comparatively and the coat is thick enough, you can take some steel wool to lightly scuff the shinier parts and dull the appearance (or brush on a matte varnish - vallejo makes one for under $3).

It is shinier, but not as shiny as my picture makes it. Even so, the steel wool idea is great, I'll probably give it a try.

P.S. Thanks again Artemus for the painting tips earlier, couldn't have done it without you.