V: ... and Hell followed

By Julia, in Doom

I have a little little question on the fifth Scenario from the core set of Doom... yesterday we played a very intense game (man, it's crazy) and we still don't know how the game ended. I had my marines entering the sixth (last) area and killing all the Cyberdaemons and a mancubus spawned in the same area. But I had some invaders not killed in Area 5 who entered Area 6 before the last Cyberdaemon was killed.

The special text "If all the invaders in this area are dead, then read the following..." snowed us under doubts.

What do they mean exactly by "all the invaders"? The invaders originally present in this Area when it was revealed? Or all invaders able to enter the area? Thematically speaking, we thought the first interpretation could make more sense: you enter the docks, see the Cyberdaemons and the gates to Hell, kill the big bosses, and then, knowing that countless invaders could still swarm the Mars base, you enter the gates. Otherwise the game is looping: the Invader player can keep on spawning monsters after monsters and having them enter Area 6. Not to mention that this game is not about killing everything: you rush towards the docks, and then you have to figure out what to do next since you cannot leave. Soldiers should be able to think quickly and react quicker. But the "all invaders" clause, if read literaly, seems to imply that *everything* entering the last Area must be killed in order to win the Scenario. But still, I don't see much logic in this, and the Scenario is really tough enough even without having to force Marines to a useless last stand.

Thoughts?

For me the game ends in the time while there are no invaders in area 6. They can be just next dor but if there is no invader present in whole area 6 you can end the game.

Jervon said:

For me the game ends in the time while there are no invaders in area 6. They can be just next dor but if there is no invader present in whole area 6 you can end the game.

Jervon, thanks for answering and sharing your opinion. My point was that, considering the awkward shape of Area 6, and the overcrowded Area 5, the risk is that the Invader keeps on spawning enemies in a continual loop. Considering the fact the dungeon is very long and that the Invader scores an additional frag when he finishes his deck, and that the Scenario per se is really difficult, being force to fight an unidentified number of extra enemies could mean game over even for the bravest marines.

I PMed Kevin about this, but I hardly doubt he will answer my question; and I've heard from Tibs via e-mail. He says he generally consider only monsters originally presented in the Area to consider the mission accomplished (this for both Scenario III and Scenario V). I think I'll stick at his point of view (otherwise the game is really off balance)

I just said how it looks for me. And why I says that is becouse of my experience with other board game (Warhammer quest, and yes I do know that this game is not even close to Doom) where there was plenty of scenarios wit such solution for game end. That's the only reason for me taking this rule in that way. I (like you) would like to see official answer to that question but I doubt if it ever happens.

And Julia it is nice to see you in almost every game forum I post :)

Jervon said:

I just said how it looks for me. And why I says that is becouse of my experience with other board game (Warhammer quest, and yes I do know that this game is not even close to Doom) where there was plenty of scenarios wit such solution for game end. That's the only reason for me taking this rule in that way. I (like you) would like to see official answer to that question but I doubt if it ever happens.

And Julia it is nice to see you in almost every game forum I post :)

I'm not familiar at all with Warhammer Quest, sadly, so... dunno. Maybe WHQ is not as deadly, no idea, really. But I appreciate your feedback, as always :-)

And yep, seems like we share a common taste for games :-)