Future products/new scenarios/alternate rules - anything?

By the-hypnotoad, in Gears of War: The Board Game

Hey all. I'm a little concerned that there hasn't been one official news item added to the Gears section since the FAQ went up at the beginning of November. Has anyone heard or does anyone know if any additional support will be coming for this game any time soon/ever?

I know FFG is certainly not shy about producing game addons; all I can think of is maybe they sold through the first run of the game and without stock to sell aren't really trying to promote the game? I dunno... We haven't even had one little extra mission or teasers about future products.

Makes me a little worried this is just a one-and-done product, which would be a huge shame since it is such a mechanically and thematically strong game.

the-hypnotoad said:

Hey all. I'm a little concerned that there hasn't been one official news item added to the Gears section since the FAQ went up at the beginning of November. Has anyone heard or does anyone know if any additional support will be coming for this game any time soon/ever?

I know FFG is certainly not shy about producing game addons; all I can think of is maybe they sold through the first run of the game and without stock to sell aren't really trying to promote the game? I dunno... We haven't even had one little extra mission or teasers about future products.

Makes me a little worried this is just a one-and-done product, which would be a huge shame since it is such a mechanically and thematically strong game.

I agree. My one friend and I wish there was a Carmine figurine, as well as an Anya. Maybe when Gears 3 sells for like $20 or 30, they'll release notice about the expansion for Gears boardgame. Gears bg after all did just come out in September.

the-hypnotoad said:

Generally speaking, FFG usually waits at least a year before putting out any expansion material for a game. Assuming said game is not an LCG or something, designed from the get-go to expand forever.

Besides which, the rate at which they've been putting out expansions for all their different titles lately has been leading to some truly horrendous errors in printing (see the whole Forbidden Alchemy fiasco for Mansions of Madness.) Personally, I'd be okay with them slowing down on the release of expansion material if they're having trouble maintaining a high level of quality in the products.

I don't really have any problem with "one and done" games. They're still perfectly playable even if nothing new is coming out, and I can make up my own scenraios if I'm bored of the ones in the box. I can remember a time when I picked board games based solely on the ability for me to express my own creativity through such homebrew material, after all.

Steve-O said:

...Personally, I'd be okay with them slowing down on the release of expansion material if they're having trouble maintaining a high level of quality in the products.

I don't really have any problem with "one and done" games. They're still perfectly playable even if nothing new is coming out, and I can make up my own scenarios if I'm bored of the ones in the box. I can remember a time when I picked board games based solely on the ability for me to express my own creativity through such homebrew material, after all.

Agreed. As well, eventually slowing down to make a better quality product while expanding will eventually seal that wait gap because making all products quality will increase profit and expansion and ensure more sales, so wait just won't be a factor if you get another cool new game in the meantime, ala Infiltration and Fortress America.

Besides a Gears expansion, Rune Age especially needs one. Making an expansion announcement would be a good idea for next week seeing as Thunderstone Advance will be hitting shelves mid-month. I am surprised there have been no more PoDs for Mansions either while we wait for FA to get revised. Mansions sadly sits on my shelf getting no play because I have already played all scenarios to death.

As you said, Steve-O, I just need to finish my custom map I was making for Mansions of Madness.

yea but with only 6 scenarios plus a hoard mode you would think they would make more scenarios at least by now even if only as print on demands although i would prefer the big box full expansions for gow

Well not to beat a Thread that events have overtaken but the PoD is a welcomed addition with some of the stuff we've been looking for.I do hope someday FFG will bring out some figs of the other Gears & Grubs (it would be nice not to have proxy) & some additional Tiles.

OD